free website stats program Oil light stays on after oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil light stays on after oil change

Ken 1965

Hi. I just changed the oil and filter on a 1997 Sportster XL 1200. I added oil to the new filter prior to installing. Filled the oil tank with 2 and a 1/2 quarts of oil, started the bike, ran it for a few minutes but the oil light stays on. The oil level is at or above the full mark; it seems like the oil isn't circulating. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Ken

Loosen the clamp on the oil drain hose,put your pan back under your bike and pull the hose off and let a little oil drain out, usually until it starts to run clear 1/4 cup or less.

Loosen the clamp on the oil drain hose,put your pan back under your bike and pull the hose off and let a little oil drain out, usually until it starts to run clear 1/4 cup or less.
RIGHT On Here... I agree with the above post.

Many riders of sport or softails don't do this but every once in a while it comes out to Bite you.

The "air lock" keeps the oil from moving into the oil pump,,,, Kinda like a vacuum... I have Never had a problem on my sport bikes, but YOU sure do.

Good to do= you fill the oil filter with oil also. I do that on all my oil changes no matter what motor...:D

Thanks chappy99 for the good information and FIX for this problem

signed....BUBBIE

It is in my book ro remove the oil drain hose from its seat once filled with oil till some oil runs out to eliminate the air pocket this procedure is to eliminate cavitation (air bubbles) in the oil
if that air bubble filled the whole of the feed/drain hose then the pump would have nothing to pull on

Brian

[QUOTE=chappy99;477574]Loosen the clamp on the oil drain hose,put your pan back under your bike and pull the hose off and let a little oil drain out, usually until it starts to run clear 1/4 cup or less.[/QUOTE]

I've never though of doing this when changing the oil but it I can certainly see the sense in it.
Mind you, I never had the oil light stay on, but, if there is a risk that some kind of vacuum could prevent the engine from lubricating properly, you would think the manuals would advise that this procedure be always followed as routine during servicing. I'll be doing it in future. Great tip.

Back