free website stats program Oil light question | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil light question

Moose 68

just wondering if the cold temps here in NH would cause my oil light to come on on my 05'roadking 2 minutes after I started it. It went off when I brought up the rpm's but would come back on when I let off. it stayed off after 5 minutes of doing this. it is kept in my garage outside temps have been a lot colder than usual. Thanks for any info

I would not think that should be Normal as they all don't do it...:D

How COLD is COLD?

Miles on the bike?
weight of oil?
type filter?
do you have an oil pressure gauge ? I WOULD at least check it with an actual gauge.

Can't imagine no pressure like you say.

Tell us more about the bike and the build then more answers.

welcome

signed....BUBBIE

it has been very cold temps around 5 to 12 degrees with wind chills well below 0 for 2 months. I do start it regularly. miles 45,000 just put new cams and cam tensioners in it last September. weight of oil 20/50 synthetic, stock HD filter. I am going to get a pressure gauge to check it. started it again this morning and let it run a few minutes and it didn't do it. could there be junk from the bad cam tensioners in the oil? Thanks again

it has been very cold temps around 5 to 12 degrees with wind chills well below 0 for 2 months. I do start it regularly. miles 45,000 just put new cams and cam tensioners in it last September. weight of oil 20/50 synthetic, stock HD filter. I am going to get a pressure gauge to check it. started it again this morning and let it run a few minutes and it didn't do it. could there be junk from the bad cam tensioners in the oil? Thanks again
Winter in NH!
Starting the bike "regularly" is not how you store a bike for winter!

Do all the fluid changes, put something in the gas for storage. Put the bike battery on a battery Tender (not charger, there is a difference) and leave the bike stored until riding weather.
Starting the bike "regularly" is just adding moisture to the internals.
Just asking for trouble with this little way of "storing."

If the "bad" cam chain tensioner disintegrated or was coming apart in chunks. Yes, that could be your problem. If you have pieces floating around in the motor, I would think that the least of your worries would be the oil light. If that stuff starts to block oil passages, it is a real problem IMO.

If the "bad" cam chain tensioner disintegrated or was coming apart in chunks. Yes, that could be your problem. If you have pieces floating around in the motor, I would think that the least of your worries would be the oil light. If that stuff starts to block oil passages, it is a real problem IMO.

IF the shoes came apart?????

Then it may have Damaged the oil pump..

Starting in winter would Not be a problem for me.

I use a Big fan when I was in the cold climate of Wa. BUT would totally warmed mine up. (hot like riding it for Miles)
Snow was on the ground, no riding but wanted to HEAT it up to or same as a 20/30 mile ride...
I used a BIG Box Fan as I have on hand for Just for That Reason...

No problems then...:s

signed....BUBBIE

Remove the oil filter and cut it open, spread the media out and check for pieces. Refill NEW filter with oil and run a pressure test with a remote gauge:s

Back