free website stats program oil light flash | Harley Davidson Forums

oil light flash

electrarider

The last couple of times i have riden my 01 Electra Glide Classic the idot light flashed a couple of times as I excellerated right after I started my ride, then never came on again. I did not loose any oil pressure. I would appreacitate any help. After researching it the manual says it could be a clogged oil filter, or the beginnings of problems with the sending unit. Help!

Kinda sad when we can't even trust our instrumentation whether status or diagnostic in nature. That is why built in self test is helpful (if done automatically by diagnostic electronics) or after the fact by yours truly the DIYer or shop.

As Ultrat says, the simplist thing would be to check the sender for damage or debris, and simple changeout of oil sender is relatively cheap. But you should check that oil pressure if you have acess to a guage just to be sure.

That low pressure clog may be merely clump of orange plastic...the symptom of somethiing like the primary chain tensioner pads which self destruct or worn oil pump gear. Never hurts to investigate a bit by pulling the cover and checking things out. There are plenty of threads to help by going using the search tab.

Last edited:
The last couple of times i have riden my 01 Electra Glide Classic the idot light flashed a couple of times as I excellerated right after I started my ride, then never came on again. I did not loose any oil pressure. I would appreacitate any help. After researching it the manual says it could be a clogged oil filter, or the beginnings of problems with the sending unit. Help!

Since you have an '01, the first thing I think about when there is any sort of oil related problem is the cam chain tensioners. I am sensitive to this because when my outside tensioner nuked, the symptoms were oil pressure related. In my case, the bits of plastic from the tensioner shoe jammed the oil pressure relief plunger (open) and let too much oil by-pass. Of course, my immediate reaction to this was that there was something wrong with the sending unit, and I bought and installed a new one to no avail. And you need that fancy Snap-on crows foot to get the sending unit on and off (see below. It is a 1 1/16" crows foot)!!

So all that said, I would err on the side of caution and open up the nose cone to peek at the cam chain tensioners to make sure they are not the problem. Changing out the sending unit is easy (with the tool!) and will eliminate that as the reason, though.

TQ

Attachments

• Snap on 1 1-16.JPG
    Snap on 1 1-16.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

A COUPLE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ARE NEEDED BEFORE YOU GET A LOT OF RESPONSES FROM THE MANY WHO WILL TRY TO HELP.......

How many miles on your 2001?

what type oil do you use?

when was the LAST change, oil and filter?

what mods have been done out and inside motor?

Have you checked the cam tension shoes or has the cam chest been apart before and or modified any of the MUCH NEEDED STUFF ON THAT YEAR BIKE?

SPECIAL NOTE..... If you remove the oil pressure sensor be CAREFUL when putting it OR the new one IN as YOU CAN CRACK THE ENGINE BLOCK WITH TOO MUCH TIGHTENING..... I CAREFULLY use teflon tape.... NOTE others will say NO to this BUT this is the way I DO IT.

My 2000 had a weak sensor (oil light flickered on off ) and needed a new one...
I SUGGEST,,,,, DON'T USE A AFTER MARKET REPLACEMENT as HD's OEM makes the best and they are CHEAP to replace.....

there are a lot of things to BETTER your 2001 and bring it up to date with the NEWER STYLE BIKES OF TODAY.... these improvements were NOT available back when I changed out my 2000 FXDS dyna , SO i paid a ton of $$$ to do what can be done today for a mere 429.99 for the KIT that changes out the oil pump/support plate and changes tensioners over to a nylon fiber (long wearing) hydraulic tensioner system(rids the SPRING SHOE problem) NEEDED FROM 1999 and THRU to the 07's on the big bikes.

HARLEY USES A GOOD SYSTEM on TODAYS TC MOTORS AND I FEEL the modification (KIT) A MUST IF YOU WANT A LONGER TROUBLE FREE OLDER BIKE....this KIT up dates your bike to the NEWER STYLE.

signed....BUBBIE

Back