free website stats program Oil level | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil level

glazier

Wondering why my oil level is the same, whether I check it cold or hot. Shouldn't it be lower if cold??? And also wondering why I was about half quart low after a 500 mile ride this past weekend. The bike only has 7500 miles on it, so it shouldn't be using any. Cleaned the air filter and there was a little oil in there, but not a half quarts worth. Should I be concerned, or worrying about nothing.
Thanks.

Glazier
with the bike on the jiffy stand your oil level cold should be about half way up the wedge on the dip stick, hot should be somewhere above that. As to the oil usage if you just changed oil and added a filter that might account for the drop in oil level. I would keep track of it and if it continues to drop after 500 miles take it back to the dealer

Glazier
with the bike on the jiffy stand your oil level cold should be about half way up the wedge on the dip stick, hot should be somewhere above that. As to the oil usage if you just changed oil and added a filter that might account for the drop in oil level. I would keep track of it and if it continues to drop after 500 miles take it back to the dealer

checked it on the jiffy stand hot and cold and it was a half qt. low both times. when I check it hot I do it per the service manual. motor at operating temp. then let it idle for two or three minutes. shut it off and check oil level. last oil change was at the 5K mark, so it's been 2500 miles since. was at the full mark when hot after the last oil change, so not sure where that other half quart went. a brand new bike shouldn't be using half a quart. I'll keep an eye on it and let the dealer look at it if it continues to drop.

Some bikes will use more oil than others during breakin.Some have used up to a quart of oil before the usage stops. It all depends on how you break it in and ride it. If you do the 30-60-30 10Times, chances are you will not have an oil burner.

Harley Davidson Forums

Keep in mind too that when you change oil tat there is about 1/2+ quart of oil left in the engine after draining it.

I did the 30-60-30 break in method, but the motor already had about 150 miles on it. Was it too late??? An even though a half qt remains when draining, if its full hot after refilling, and 2500 miles later its half qt. low, am I burning oil already??? Or if its blow by, do I not have the proper compression ratio??? Bike runs great, so no prob there. Just concerned about losing oil already. No leaks anywhere.

I say ride it till your hearts desire and forget about it....... Enjoy:s

After you check the oil level and find it 1/2 quart low, do you refill it or let it ride? If you refill it, how long does it take to become 1/2 quart low again? If this is the first time for this, try the refill and note the amount of time it takes to be low again. The dealer or your local indy may find that usefull.

How much oil are you putting in @ oil change, what do your pipes look like?

How much oil are you putting in @ oil change, what do your pipes look like?

I put in 3 1/2 quarts with filter change. Rode it till good and hot. Re-checked level. Was fine. A few weeks later it was about a half qt. low so added the other half qt. Was right at the full mark when checked hot. Was maybe 1/8 - 1/4 qt. low before 500 mile ride this past weekend. Didn't add any. Checked it when we got home and it was about 1/2 qt. low. Added 1/2 qt. yesterday, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet to check it again when hot. Like Glider said, maybe it's leaking into the primary. I'll have to check primary level also. Can't imagine a brand new bike would be leaking oil into the primary, but you never know.

i think Harley allows 1quart of oil consumption between services,break the engine in completely then do an assessment

Back