free website stats program Oil Level Low on 08 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Level Low on 08

Mavagrand

Checked my oil before heading out on an 80 mile trip. It was just above the add mark when cold..I put a little in and took off. While on the trip, I noticed my Eitms activated a few times while sitting at lights..the ambient air was cooler than normal for Central Florida so I thought it was weird. Anyway, got home and checked the oil while bike was hot...she is 1/2 a quart low. I know with decreased volume in crank case the temps will go up. My question is..I have no obvious leaks on the bike and the A/C has no oil in it so where did the oil go? I am going to drain oil tomorrow and replace with M1 20W50.

thanx, Hobbit. It caught me off guard as I changed the oil about 2500 ago..you say this is normal usage for a twin cam..i never noticed this on my 06 road king?

Most engines will use some oil especially in the beginning of it's life depending on the break in used. IMO the ETIMS will push a bit up into the head than without it from lack of combustion in that cylinder. The thing is to check it hot right after the change to find out if there is a noted difference between hot and cold on the bike.

How many miles on the bike? Maybe the rings aren't seated yet? Compression check? You may want to sort this out before the warrenty is gone, if you do have an issue, let MOCO fix it...

Most engines will consume some oil. 1/2 Quart in 80 Miles seems a bit excessive to me. I usually burn about 1/2 Quart in 2500 Miles riding to and from Palm Springs, CA -- the hottest place in So-Cal. If you are consuming that much oil in 80 Miles, there might be a problem. Here's a bit of advice.

ETIMS Stinks! While HD's thought process was good, and looking toward what was best for the Twin Cam, these engines run hot because they are lean. Take your bike to a stealer, disable ETIMS, and install an aftermarket Oil Cooler. The install is pretty easy, and will keep your bike cooler than ETIMS will.

A quick plug check on your part can tell you many things. Pull the plugs, they should look tan. If they are black or wet -- get that thing straight to the stealer.

How many miles do you have on your machine? If it's still within 1,000 Mile break-in, anything is possible. Do you have any modifications to the OE Fuel Injection? I.E. Stage 1 Download/Re-Map, Pipes, Air Cleaner, Cam, Etc? If it's still bone stock, I would atleast take it to the stealer and have them run a compression test on it.

What kind of oil are you using? I haven't been real impressed with the HD Screamin' Eagle Syn 3 junk.

Improper engine break in is the biggest cause for oil consumption.A properly broken in engine shouldn't use any measurable oil between changes. It's when the rings are not seated properly in the beginning that oil can bypass the oil wiper ring and get burnt in the combustion chamber.
Also like mentioned above, If you are using the SYN 3 oil, get a better oil that is a full synthetic instead of that blend made by Hugo Chavez for Harley.

Proper Engine Break In For New Motors - Harley Davidson Community

I appreciate this forum. I purchased an 08 Road King in July of 08. Had the 103 Big Bore kit installed prior to delivery. I have experienced oil usage of 1 qt between the 1000 and 5000 mile service and now have to add another quart at 8500 miles. I have spoken to several owners and they have not added oil between services. This has me concerned that something may have been done incorrectly when the Big Bore kit was installed. I went through the break in procedure as directed by the dealership, and run my bike in a non agressive manner. Any advice is appreciated.:)

Dealers will give you a very conservative break in method that sometimes doesn't help matters in seating the rings in. Provided they installed the rings properly it should not use more that tops a quart in the initial break in. The additional quart used from 5K to 8.5K would be a concern to me and I would take it back to the dealer that did the upgrade with your info and get it logged in to the system as such.
Make sure that they record your mileages and oil added for these mileages when they enter it in the computer. Don't accept them filling out the work order that states "the bike uses oil", make sure it is specific as to the quantity and miles too.

Break In For An Engine Upgrade - Harley Davidson Community

I appreciate this forum. I purchased an 08 Road King in July of 08. Had the 103 Big Bore kit installed prior to delivery. I have experienced oil usage of 1 qt between the 1000 and 5000 mile service and now have to add another quart at 8500 miles. I have spoken to several owners and they have not added oil between services. This has me concerned that something may have been done incorrectly when the Big Bore kit was installed. I went through the break in procedure as directed by the dealership, and run my bike in a non agressive manner. Any advice is appreciated.:)
Just to be sure here, what kind of oil? I have found that dino oils will burn faster than a good Synthetic in a hot motor.

Back