Oil Level Check

Discussion in 'Oil' started by Singha1966, May 12, 2015.

1. Singha1966

Singha1966 New Member

I have a 2008 Harley Ultra Classic with a voyager Kit on it. What is the proper level on the dip stick for engine and transmission oil when it is in the upright position?

2. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Check your manual, oil should be checked while sitting on the jiffy stand and the tranny check, bike should be in the upright position. Dipstick for the tranny should be removed, wipe off and rest it on the threads (don't screw back on the threads) remove and check level on the stick. I check my levels when engine is cold.

3. trickydoc

trickydoc Active Member

with the added trike kit, it can't be on the side stand. If you have friends with a bike without the trike kit, have him check his oil with bike on side stand. Then stand his bike upright and recheck oil. This should give you a good starting point for checking yours.
    You may want to make a new mark on your dipstick for future reference. Maybe this will help. I have an 01 Ultra and I would be happy to send photos of my dipstick with the oil levels if you think it would help. With the age difference, it may not be useful.

4. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Disregard my post, I missed the voyager kit. What trickydoc posted make sense.

5. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

I would think the level would be the same for '01 or '08. They both have a 4 qt. capacity.
    tourbox

6. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

The dip stick did change in '07 from a push in type to a screw in type. Don't know if length is different though.
    tourbox

7. Harttoo

Harttoo Senior Member

Service Manual says to use opposite side of dipstick for side car use.Lowest diamond mark is add 1 qt.Highest diamond mark is full level (hot).

8. Singha1966

Singha1966 New Member

thanks the pics would help a lot

9. Harttoo

Harttoo Senior Member

The dipstick has 2 sides,use this side for sidecar or trike.

Attached Files: