free website stats program Oil level barely above 'Full' line, not 'Full Hot' line | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil level barely above 'Full' line, not 'Full Hot' line

Keithhu

2010 FLSTC, in Mid Oct did the 1K service at about 1250 miles. Put Amsoil 20/50 in the engine. Bike has about 1950 now.

Just got back from running errands. Thought I'd check the oil while the engine was hot. The oil level was just above the 'Full' line not the 'Full Hot' line. Should I put more in? how much? (probably about .5" until full hot line).

I gave them 4 quarts and they gave me 1/2 quart back, so I'm sure they put 3.5 quarts in when they changed it, so in thinking about it, I worry that its burning it. Unfortunately I didnt check it when I first got it back after the 1K.

Thoughts?

You have to develop an oil checking routine/time when it is hot from riding and make sure you are doing it properly either on the stand or straight up for your model/year.

I would keep check on it before adding any more and see if it goes any lower before you end up overfilling it. Always run the engine at idle/hot for 30-60 secs before checking it and do it the same all the time. This purges the oil from the engine sump for a more accurate reading.

ok, thanks, will check again soon. I checked it within 90 seconds of turning it off after a trip to the store. It was on the stand, I believe thats the recommended method (for the 2010s any way)

ok, thanks, good to know, I had run a couple errands stopping in between for, say 15 mins, last one was about 6 miles.

So I had it out for a good 90 minutes today, let it idle for 40-60, shut it off, and it was about 1/2 way between full and full hot. Its possible that they didnt put *exactly* 1/2 of the fourth quart in.

Bike goes into storage tomorrow anyway, I'll change the oil and see where its at in the spring. :(

You have to develop an oil checking routine/time when it is hot from riding and make sure you are doing it properly either on the stand or straight up for your model/year.

I would keep check on it before adding any more and see if it goes any lower before you end up overfilling it. Always run the engine at idle/hot for 30-60 secs before checking it and do it the same all the time. This purges the oil from the engine sump for a more accurate reading.
Good day all, My dealer did the 1000 service on my 2014 roadking, at 3200 mile my engine oil was way low and I tested oil level as manual states, warming engine etc etc. I had to add quart hope my engine did not suffer damage. I'm not the most mechanical person but I will do my own oil changes from here out. Anyone have the same issue?

So I had it out for a good 90 minutes today, let it idle for 40-60, shut it off, and it was about 1/2 way between full and full hot. Its possible that they didnt put *exactly* 1/2 of the fourth quart in.

Bike goes into storage tomorrow anyway, I'll change the oil and see where its at in the spring. :(

Don't worry about it. Most dealers will not put 4 quarts; 3.5 because there is some residual oil hiding in the passages, nooks and crannies and they don't want to deal with the dreaded "oil puking" that some believe will occur if oil is run at the full level. Personally, I have never experienced that phenomena but my breathers are vented to the atmosphere and not back into the intake track. Your call if you want to run full; I like to have as much oil as possible in mine, particularly in the summer in south Texas.

No need to be anal about checking but since the mileage is low, wouldn't hurt to check every 500 miles or so. Always check hot and don't make the mistake some softail owners have made when checking cold and seeing no oil on the stick and then adding oil. The softail oil tank is above the motor and oil will slowly seep past the check valve into the sump. When starting after sitting, like after storage, all the oil will be in the sump. So start the bike and let it ide for a few minutes while all the oil in the sump is pumped back up into the oil tank.:coffee

Back