free website stats program oil leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

oil leaking

kevinp

Hi everyone I have been reading posts as often as I can and I love the info and help everyone offers. Sorry I haven't been able to help anyone since what I've learned was mostly from this site. Anyway I have a 94 fxdwg 42,000 mi. mostly stock, vance & hines big radias pipes. Like I said, stock otherwise. I had local wrench install new andrews ev27 cam, torington bearing, b lifters, SE easy install pushrods. Not even half way home I looked down and oil all over everything. It's coming out oil cap, and pushrod tubes. Took it back, We both agreed it sounds like breather not lined up right. Called to see if it was done and he said "that was not the problem and he is stumped at the moment". Keep in mind this is a reputable shop. Any ideas any one? It's been high 70's low 80's and I really miss my baby and want to bring her home so I can ride her! :s

Hi everyone I have been reading posts as often as I can and I love the info and help everyone offers. Sorry I haven't been able to help anyone since what I've learned was mostly from this site. Anyway I have a 94 fxdwg 42,000 mi. mostly stock, vance & hines big radias pipes. Like I said, stock otherwise. I had local wrench install new andrews ev27 cam, torington bearing, b lifters, SE easy install pushrods. Not even half way home I looked down and oil all over everything. It's coming out oil cap, and pushrod tubes. Took it back, We both agreed it sounds like breather not lined up right. Called to see if it was done and he said "that was not the problem and he is stumped at the moment". Keep in mind this is a reputable shop. Any ideas any one? It's been high 70's low 80's and I really miss my baby and want to bring her home so I can ride her! :s

Open it up , the cam, breather and oil pump alignment should be rechecked, Are the oil lines routed correctly? Is the breather gear end play correct?

I would almost bet that the oil is coming from the o-rings at the top of the pushrod tubes. It is pretty easy to get one twisted and not sealing. The oil will blow all over the right side of the bike.

The process is "do the simple stuff first" Check the pushrod tube o-rings.While you're in there re-check/set the push rods. If this is not the problem then open the cam case and inspect the breather timing, and inspect the breather gear and the end that inserts into the engine case it may be worn to the point that it is leaking the internal pressure into the cam case. If you have another hundred bucks I'd replace the breather with an S&S reed valve type. No timing issues and it opens as soon as there is crankcase pressure which helps the engine run better.

You didn't mention that anything was done to the air filter assembly, but it sounds like he may have replaced the hollow "head breather" bolts with solid ones and the crankcase pressure can't get out (except where it's leaking). Same effect at mistimed crank case breather gear, which he has eliminated as the problem. Also, could they have added an extra qt. of oil to the tank?

I just asked the owner of the shop the exact questions. He told me that he himself is going to go through everything tonight after hours because they are swamped with the early hot weather hear in mid wisconsin. I will update with the salution as soon as I know.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

no news

still no news on the oil leaking on my 94 fxdwg yet.
Does any one know what size the bolt is in the bottom of the fork sliders? is it a 6mm, or 8mm? I want to change fork seels if I ever get my bike back. I still have to buy the longer socket driver yet and I can get them one at a time at a local tool store hear.
My manual doesnt say what size it is. should i use lock tite when I install it again? or how tite to torck it. i have watched some of the vidios. it doesnt look like to tuff of a job.(famous last words right?) thanks again for the help.

The best info i can come up with on this bolt is part number = 45405-75A it is a socket head and has a 6mm thread so it should take a 5mm allen key

That is the best i can come up with

Brian

oil leek update

well I finally got my bike back. still not sure what caused the blockage though.
He took everything apart, blew out all the breather passages and reasembled. he rode it and no leeks.
I took a short ride, about 40 miles and no leeks. I'm crossing my fingers now because when i checked the oil it was just above add when engine was hot. I' m hopeing that the oil loss was all the leeks and reasembly.
he did right by me, I think. wouldnt take anything for all the gaskits and hours he put in. lets hope he got it. MAN DID THAT FEEL GOOD to ride her again.thanks again for your sugestions and reading all my rambling on.

Back