free website stats program Oil leaking out air filter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil leaking out air filter

The umbrella valves are rubber flap valves that sit on the lower section of the rocker box there is 1 valve per rocker box and look like a rubber mushroom head and they can deteriorate with age and harden crack or split only way to check them is pull the rocker box covers

Brian

Thanks Brian for the clarification on the "umbrella"valves. The bike only had 2100 miles on it before the trip (trip was ~1200 miles). Not so sure the valves are behaving badly I pulled the air cleaner it looks like oil is collecting in the filter. Although the filter did not look that bad per se... I did not observe any pufing from the venting bolts while it was warming up. I will change out the filter and keep an eye on things. I will report back later after the change out of the filter.

O.K. guys, here's an old biker secret. Grab a couple of panty liners from your old lady or girl friend and stick them on the bottom inside of your air filter cover. I have the stock "Ham Can air cleaner with a K&N inside. You still need to clean every 6 monthsand change out the panties!

Back