free website stats program OIL leaking from Breather vent | Harley Davidson Forums

OIL leaking from Breather vent

dontask

I have a Hearitage Softail CLassic 1991, this year we have not done much riding weather been really rainy. When I went to start her she started right up then I notice oil pouring out of the oil breather vent tube. It ran all three qts out. Heads did not seem hot to the touch. Filled oil tanks and started it up again I guess I hoped as it the engine heated up the clog might dislove. Nope it still does it right after engine starts. I was thinking about running the breater hose back up to the tank and let the engine run and get up to temp. I was also going to add some oil to each jug. Any idea what is the problem I just put a (EDIT) load on money into last year over the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Hearitage Softail CLassic 1991, this year we have not done much riding weather been really rainy. When I went to start her she started right up then I notice oil pouring out of the oil breather vent tube. It ran all three qts out. Heads did not seem hot to the touch. Filled oil tanks and started it up again I guess I hoped as it the engine heated up the clog might dislove. Nope it still does it right after engine starts. I was thinking about running the breater hose back up to the tank and let the engine run and get up to temp. I was also going to add some oil to each jug. Any idea what is the problem I just put a **** load on money into last year over the winter.

Is your EVO stock, or have you had things done to it. Please itemize for us what was done this past winter. Did you have the nose cone off (cam job, cam shaft bearing, etc.)? Where I am going is that the breather valve may be mis-timed.

Itemize all the Winter jobs, please.

TQ

While Evo's will puke after sitting and Softails wet sump bad I haven't seen one puke 3 quarts.Like he said what work was performed?And who did the work?

I have a 1992 Dyna, just got back from 1200 mile trip and it used almost 2 quarts of oil. it too was slimed all over the carburator side of the bike. dripping from the air filter. about 2500 miels ago I had heads polished and ported, new cam and new Mikuni placed. Have after market ignition as well. I need some advice as well like this guy.

Oil level overfilled?

Breathers are obviously working but is the breather gear timed correctly?

Blow by in the engine?

While Evo's will puke after sitting and Softails wet sump bad I haven't seen one puke 3 quarts.Like he said what work was performed?And who did the work?
My '84 EVO will puke after sitting for more than a few weeks, but never that much! After warm up, all is well. I'll talk to my mechanic, a 35 year HD man, and get back.

My '84 EVO will puke after sitting for more than a few weeks, but never that much! After warm up, all is well. I'll talk to my mechanic, a 35 year HD man, and get back.
I spoke to "He who knows all" and he said it sounded to him like a sheared oil pump key. He also explained that if that key is sheared, it is caused by a more serious problem such as a scavenger gear bearing failure. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Hearitage Softail CLassic 1991, this year we have not done much riding weather been really rainy. When I went to start her she started right up then I notice oil pouring out of the oil breather vent tube. It ran all three qts out. Heads did not seem hot to the touch. Filled oil tanks and started it up again I guess I hoped as it the engine heated up the clog might dislove. Nope it still does it right after engine starts. I was thinking about running the breater hose back up to the tank and let the engine run and get up to temp. I was also going to add some oil to each jug. Any idea what is the problem I just put a (EDIT) load on money into last year over the winter.

Dontask,

See my post above (#2). Have not heard back. Please give us some idea of what has been done to the bike.

TQ

dont they all puke up oil after setting for a while? my softail allways did puke up what seems 1/2 qt oil when it starts after it sat for a while. BTW, I still waiting for my new ride to show up @ the dealer.

I bought a 1999 Fat Boy last year that has the 80" EVO. The bike had 1,553 miles on it when I bought it and after riding it for roughly 1,500 more miles I decided that I would change the 20-50 Harley oil that was in it, to Amsoil 20-50 synthetic. I rode the bike another 1,000 miles or so and now it pushes some oil out the breather vent, I mean a light mist constantly while riding. My question is, did I change to the synthetic to soon be for letting the engine "break in" or should I be looking at some thing else?

Last edited:
Never "too soon". Possibly the head areas may need some attention being it sat for a while. Evo's did mist out the vents being a bottom breather a bit so unless it's excessive where it drips on the engine, it shouldn't be a problem. There's a product called "the fix" that some used with success to eliminate the problem that promotes better oil return .
You can also run the vent lines down to vent out the bottom of the bike and another way is to use a catch can that collects any oil vapors that accumulate as a result of venting instead of gathering in the air cleaner.

Hayden Enterprise ----

Back