free website stats program Oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil leak

rollo3076

I have an oil leak I cannot find. It's coming from somewhere behind or in the area of the oil filter. It takes about 2 or 3 weeks before I see it. I have had it in the dealership twice and they are no help. It usually doesn't go that long without a bath, so it's hard to see. Just bad enough to annoy me. 2008 eg classic, 36000 miles. Any ideas? Love this forum. My questions are usually answered just by reading other posts. thanks guys.:)

It's hard to offer a solution with something like this but you have to first clean it thoroughly and then find exactly where the oil is coming from before we can recommend any fix.

Are you using HD filter and applying oil on seal before install and wiping down filter housing??? If you are not doing oil change maybe that the amount of time for lost oil when replacing filter to seep out and be noticeable.

Rollo..this may sound goofy but look at your clutch cable...I searched for a couple of days on a buddies bike I was working on. I finally found it on the clutch cable.. Oil from the tranny was migrating up the clutch cable to the adjustment and then weeping out under the protective boot,running down through underneath the mesh sheathing on the cable and dripping on the floor just below the oil filter. The shop told me it's not that uncommon and there is a seal bad on the cable.. I never did get to fix it as my buddy was impatient and didn't want to wait for me to tear it apart. I was doing some other work for him when I noticed it and he wanted to get the bike back for a rally he was going to...

Hope this helps
Tigg

Thanks guys. I'll check this out. I used an auto parts filter the first time I noticed the leak and the o.d. of the filter was small that the HD filter, changed it out, but, it still leaks. thanks for the help, I'll let you know.

If the filter swap doesn't work - dealership can add dye to oil & run a light to see if they can locate the source...spendy, but could help...

My old '07 developed a leak near the filter when it was about a year old. Took a long time to track it down, turned out it was the two bolts that hold the filter mount to the engine block. Both were tight but both were leaking. All it took was some thread seal to stop the leak.

If you had the wrong size filter fitted for a wee while then perhaps the face on the filter housing where the seal sits has got some dirt on it deforming the new filter seal
also bear in mind that a filter should only be hand tight no tools or the seal may deform and cause a leak

Brian

Back