free website stats program oil leak | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil leak

Thanks everyone for the responses. Now to answer some of the questions. It hasn't overheated recently but got pretty hot at about 12500 miles back around June. I changed the oil right after that but didn't notice the leak then. I used regular standard Harley oil. I've got about 13500 miles on it now. No cylinder work. I first noticed the leak about a month ago after a full day of riding at about 13000 miles. No major mods. Screaming eagle pipes and air filter. It's definately not the rocker box gaskets. The leak is lower than that. If it is the head gasket o-rings, can the leak be stopped by tightening down the bolts or should they be replaced?

How far down the cylinder fins does the oil appear? Below the exhaust? I thought it was head gasket time for me but, an experienced mechanic showed me that if it's the head gaskets, the oil would start below the exhaust outlet.

I know you've said it isn't the rockers twice and I don't disagree. But, I thought the worse and it ended up being the rocker gaskets for me. No leaks after changing out the thin paper ones from the factory to some good quality aftermarket.

Mechanic told me it's pretty rare for the head gasket to go but, it's possible. While the rockers are so common that it's just a matter of when.

Good luck.

Back