free website stats program oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

oil leak

2004sporty

Hello all I'm new to the site. I have a leak on both cylinders. The leak is not at the base of the cylinder or at the rocker box but midway. You can see the oil collecting on the fins. My oil level is not to high so I know it's now blowby. Any recomendations on stopping the leak?

Not an authority on Sportys, but it sounds like your head gaskets are leaking.

Could be rocker box gaskets, you can buy a rocker box gasket kit and replace them. Clean the motor and then try to see where it is leaking after a ride. If you replace them your self make sure you have a manual for torque specs and you have to have the valves set in a certain place for when you put the rockers back on.

Hello all I'm new to the site. I have a leak on both cylinders. The leak is not at the base of the cylinder or at the rocker box but midway. You can see the oil collecting on the fins. My oil level is not to high so I know it's now blowby. Any recomendations on stopping the leak?
-------------------------------------------

IF it is leaking around the cylinders and not Spitting from the air cleaner ,,, it is probably the head gaskets/"0" rings,, like mentioned... The cylinder "0" rings might be the problem... HAS the bike been over Heated? OR Cylinders worked on lately?

It always Helps IF you put the mileage,Modifications done(air,exhaust), first noticed oil leak? How long ago. Yada,Yada and Etc..

This will help us to understand the problem better and give you better answers..

Signed....BUBBIE

Thanks everyone for the responses. Now to answer some of the questions. It hasn't overheated recently but got pretty hot at about 12500 miles back around June. I changed the oil right after that but didn't notice the leak then. I used regular standard Harley oil. I've got about 13500 miles on it now. No cylinder work. I first noticed the leak about a month ago after a full day of riding at about 13000 miles. No major mods. Screaming eagle pipes and air filter. It's definately not the rocker box gaskets. The leak is lower than that. If it is the head gasket o-rings, can the leak be stopped by tightening down the bolts or should they be replaced?

Thanks everyone for the responses. Now to answer some of the questions. It hasn't overheated recently but got pretty hot at about 12500 miles back around June. I changed the oil right after that but didn't notice the leak then. I used regular standard Harley oil. I've got about 13500 miles on it now. No cylinder work. I first noticed the leak about a month ago after a full day of riding at about 13000 miles. No major mods. Screaming eagle pipes and air filter. It's definately not the rocker box gaskets. The leak is lower than that. If it is the head gasket o-rings, can the leak be stopped by tightening down the bolts or should they be replaced?
----------------------------------------------------------------
I have never ever trusted to Re-tighten a head bolt after it has been torqued in place.. Never!

I would get a SURE opinion Before Tear down.... If it is the head gaskets and "0" rings leaking ,,,, You might want to REFRESH the motor while apart.

The Overheating Probably Cooked the small "0" rings in between the heads and cylinders and it took a while for the oil to Ruin the integrity of the head gaskets, then leaks out the oil....

That is my GUESS so take it as such please..

signed....BUBBIE

If the height of the leak is below the height where the exhaust comes out of the heads then it is the head gasket and the only remedy is to replace the head gasket but as you will be going down a wee bit on the engine replace the rocker box gaskets also
while you have the heads off best to check for warping of the heads as it is fairly un common for the head gaskets to leak and if it has been over heated then warping can occur
you will need a service manual that is suitable for your model year a wee bit of patience and a bit of time as a lot of bits have to come off the bike and sometimes stuff thats been on for a few years just wants to stay where it is

Brian

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think deep down I know what the correct answer was, to replace the head gaskets. I just didn't really want to have to admit that I woud have to spend the money or take the time to do it. I guess there is never an easy fix when you want it done right. Thanks again everyone.

Never atemp to retorque Evo style head gaskets. If you do the job yourself you will need a manual for proper sequence on teardown, Very important you use this as the rockers can get distorted and follow the torque specs exact to ensure no leaks, The Manual is a very good read and you will be amazed at the info and pictures also, Good Luck and use a good Torque wrench and we got your back, Capital Jack

I had that on my 06 try making sure that your heads are torqued down properly I took mine to a shop they wanted to replace them I decided to make sure the four bolts are torqued on each head then the problem went away

Back