free website stats program Oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil leak

Russ Conder

Is it possible for oil to leak from the Oil pressure sending unit? I had a new cam, tappets and push rods replaced on my 98 RoadKing Classic (not by the dealer). Everything was going well until I took a trip to Savanah Ga. I noticed a slight mist of oil hiting the right exhaust cover sheld and my wifes right lower leg of her rain suit. When we returned home I cleaned up the bike and took it for a low speed ride with no leak showing. The next day I opened it up and notice the leak again. The only place I can detect a wet spot of oil is from the Oil pressure sending unit. The rubber part that covers the wire conection is wet, as well as underneath, nothing major but it is the only wet spot I can locate. No drips on the floor or nothing like that. I took out my air cleaner to make sure no oil is driping from there. Has anybody heard of a oil sending causing this?

Very possible that the pressure switch is leaking. Could be losse or have a small crack in the plastic

kemo

Is it possible for oil to leak from the Oil pressure sending unit? I had a new cam, tappets and push rods replaced on my 98 RoadKing Classic (not by the dealer). Everything was going well until I took a trip to Savanah Ga. I noticed a slight mist of oil hiting the right exhaust cover sheld and my wifes right lower leg of her rain suit. When we returned home I cleaned up the bike and took it for a low speed ride with no leak showing. The next day I opened it up and notice the leak again. The only place I can detect a wet spot of oil is from the Oil pressure sending unit. The rubber part that covers the wire conection is wet, as well as underneath, nothing major but it is the only wet spot I can locate. No drips on the floor or nothing like that. I took out my air cleaner to make sure no oil is driping from there. Has anybody heard of a oil sending causing this?
Check yer push rod cover "o" rings up in the head pan, If it's a mist. If the o ring was cut or installed improperly during your cam work it would mist. You need a small inspection mirror and a flashlight ta see up there. Another tail-tell for a bad installation is a slight woosh noise coming from the head pan area when the motors running.
Good luck.

They can also mist out of the carb? Pull your aircleaner off and see if you see oil (wet) on the aircleaner cover or perhaps on airclearner too if its saturated enough. They vent the rocker boxes into the carb throat and when it goes bad it comes out air cleaner and down side of your bike.

also, remove the sending unit and clean the area around the threaded whole.....i have seen the cases crack right around the sending unit and have to TIG them back up.....but if it is as much oil as you say i would have to say im with Billnapabill, those push rods will leak like nobodys business if they arent assembled right. i would let the bike warm up and then hold the throttle open a little ways (put a fan in front of it to keep it cool) and wait for the oil to show up. good luck.

Very possible that the pressure switch is leaking. Could be losse or have a small crack in the plastic

kemo

I'm with Kemo, and it's the easyist and quickist thing to try, you can get a new one at the autoparts store,take the old one with you to match up.:s

As it turns out it was the Oil pressure sending unit. I can't beleave that I got away with only spending $12.00 for this. Back in the seat again with no worries for the time being. Thanks

Good catch. I never had my HD sender leak, but on my car the sender had a drip that I ignored for years. One day the sender ruptured and I lost all oil pressure. Luckily I shut the engine off in time but had an expensive tow for a $12 part.

Back