Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by fwcole, Oct 1, 2009.

1. fwcole

fwcole Active Member

My brothers sporty has had a problem with oil coming from the air cleaner. We checked the breather lines for clogs and they were clear, any suggestions?

2. 03classic

03classic Junior Member

possible oil overfill.

3. springer03

springer03 Active Member

More than likely Oil overfil!

4. fwcole

fwcole Active Member

No this has been a long term problem, weve checked alot of things others have suggested but havent been able to figure it out

5. fwcole

fwcole Active Member

Service manual points to crankcase breathing problem

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I need a bit more info before i can make any sensible replies as they have been making sportsters since 1957 you could start with year of manufacture
    any mods especially to the air cleaner and carb it all helps
    but if its a solid mount evo engined sportster may be the umbrella valves have hardend this could cause your problem
    However be aware that there is oil mist in the air coming from the breathers this oil mist should be fed into the carb so that it can be burnt in combustion if the air flow isnt correct the oil mist can condense in the air cleaner and drip out

Brian

7. fwcole

fwcole Active Member

96 sportster 1200 drag pipes, high flow air cleaner.All these were there before the problem started, and we have already changed the umbrella valves

8. hippie13

hippie13 Active Member

my 91 would drip oil from the se air cleaner ' for years' only when you ride it hard tho and i changed 'everything' lol finaly i ran it with the air cleaner off and found it pushed quite abit out of the breather bolts. now idk if this was the right thing to do but it definatly helped.
    i took the washers off the breather bolts so the bolts sit further into the heads , not much mind you, but did help. it still breaths but the flow is less. like i said idk if its the proper thing to do but it dnt cost nutn to try . just make sure the bolts dont bottom out or seal up the flow ;-)
    they do make breather kits but i ddnt find one that fit nice

peace