free website stats program Oil Leak Part II | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Leak Part II

MBHD93

After several days of chasing down a primary oil leak, I think I located another one. I blocked the bike up off the ground so that I could crawl under it and shine a light and see up in there. Well, I stuffed some paper towels up around the inner primary and left them overnight. In the morning the one that was on the inner side of the drive pulley came back wet and red. I have Spectro 6spd oil in tranny. Repeated the process, same thing next morning. So it appears to be the large oil seal on the tranny drive shaft is leaking.

I have never pulled the inner primary before, but it looks rather straight forward, except......the large oil seal on the tranny shaft.....can I remove that with the tranny in place?? Please say yes. :newsmile026:

Yes you can get at that seal without removing the gearbox
if the oil was on the gearbox side of the pulley suspect that the main drive oil seal is the problem area it may also be prudent if changing that seal to also replace the quad seal and the spacer
the quad seal sits behind the spacer and the large seal seals on to the spacer
You will have to remove the pulley to get at the seal so will need a suitable tool to remove the large nut it may be a good idea to replace the large nut and and its locking plate
once you have got to the large seal drill a wee hole in the metal part of the seal then screw in a self tapping screw and you can then pull on the screw to get the seal to pop out
with the age of your bike it may also be worth replacing the mainshaft oil seal while you are that far in anyway it sits between the mainshaft and the main drive just behind the inner bearing race
you will have to pull the inner bearing race to get to the seal again a wee hole and a self tapping screw to pull on clean the mainshaft then use some abs pipe to drive the new seal in

Brian

Yes you can get at that seal without removing the gearbox
if the oil was on the gearbox side of the pulley suspect that the main drive oil seal is the problem area it may also be prudent if changing that seal to also replace the quad seal and the spacer
the quad seal sits behind the spacer and the large seal seals on to the spacer
You will have to remove the pulley to get at the seal so will need a suitable tool to remove the large nut it may be a good idea to replace the large nut and and its locking plate
once you have got to the large seal drill a wee hole in the metal part of the seal then screw in a self tapping screw and you can then pull on the screw to get the seal to pop out
with the age of your bike it may also be worth replacing the mainshaft oil seal while you are that far in anyway it sits between the mainshaft and the main drive just behind the inner bearing race
you will have to pull the inner bearing race to get to the seal again a wee hole and a self tapping screw to pull on clean the mainshaft then use some abs pipe to drive the new seal in

Brian

I'm really lost on this part. The exploded view in the manual doesn't really clear it up for me either. Hopefully is will become obvious once I get in there. Also, i think it might have a new seal in it as I had that gear replaced two years ago by a indy. Long story, and not a pleasant one....grrrrrrrrrr.

Once you start pulling it all to bits keep us updated on how you are getting on if you get stuck walk away and let us know and you may well get words of wisdom from some of the members
as i have replaced all of those seals on my 94 wide glide i have been there already although it was a few years ago i still remember most of it
be aware i am in Scotland so my time zone is different from yours but i will respond if needed might just take a wee while

Brian

Thanks. I'm going to dig into it in the morning. I'm sure I will be able to do it, I just have the first time jitters. But, I know myself and once I get into something I don't turn back....only one way out...the finish line.

I finished getting the bike back together and have put about 100 miles on it and.....no runs, no drips, no errors. Thank you for your advice and encouragement. It is really appreciatted. :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Back