free website stats program Oil leak on front of inner primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil leak on front of inner primary

willy

Hope everyone is enjoying the warmer weather, finally, I have a 2010 Ultra Limited with 26,000 miles. The other day I noticed oil down the left side of the frame, after tracing it back to the front of the inner primary I found it was comming from the wiring harness that goes from the regulater to the stator. Seems to be leaking around the rubber gromet. Talked with our local dealer and they said the stator would have to be changed.$$$ I plan on trying to reseal the gromet. Has anyone ran into this before. This is my third Harley and first time i've seen this. Thanks and ride safe.

I believe I read another thread on this and a simple fix was to clean the grommet well and apply good bead of silicone sealant...

Hope everyone is enjoying the warmer weather, finally, I have a 2010 Ultra Limited with 26,000 miles. The other day I noticed oil down the left side of the frame, after tracing it back to the front of the inner primary I found it was comming from the wiring harness that goes from the regulater to the stator. Seems to be leaking around the rubber gromet. Talked with our local dealer and they said the stator would have to be changed.$$$ I plan on trying to reseal the gromet. Has anyone ran into this before. This is my third Harley and first time i've seen this. Thanks and ride safe.

Glider suggested using a small oring and working that into the case between the grommet and the case. See here:

Stator Plug - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com

TQ

My old Road King had the same issue.
I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and put some good quality silicone generously around plug and cured the leak.

Clean it up good and reseal with some silicone and keep an eye on it for a few days, too much oil leakage will soften the plug

Thanks to all for replying to my post. I will try the silicone and if that doesn't work I will try the o-ring.

Give it a good cleaning with brake cleaner or contact cleaner and see how long it takes to return. That is usually a good indication of leak severity.
If it is only misting, then your regular cleaning will take care of it.
Otherwise, silicone or the o ring mod as previously suggested should take care of it.

Take care,
Dave

Just wanted to say thank you to all for the info in this forum. I had the same oil leak around the primary stator wire plug on 2010 Ultra that started around 50k miles. I first tried o-rings. The first o-ring was a bit too narrow so I put in a fatter one. This only slowed down the oil drips. I then removed the o-ring and cleaned the area good with brake cleaner and used black silicone around the plug. A couple thousand miles since and no oil leaks.

Just wanted to say thank you to all for the info in this forum. I had the same oil leak around the primary stator wire plug on 2010 Ultra that started around 50k miles. I first tried o-rings. The first o-ring was a bit too narrow so I put in a fatter one. This only slowed down the oil drips. I then removed the o-ring and cleaned the area good with brake cleaner and used black silicone around the plug. A couple thousand miles since and no oil leaks.

Good deal, now let's:eek: hope it holds for good.

Back