free website stats program Oil leak on 2009 Streetglide | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil leak on 2009 Streetglide

Good luck with this, man. I would be FURIOUS if I were you, and I am bummed to hear that you have to go through with all of this.

Please keep us all posted and let us know how it turns out for you.

GOOD LUCK!!!

glad to see your back from out of forum suspension lol

I too would be one EDIT off individual. If you look at the operations that take place in the transmission and engine assembly line you would understand how easily something could get scratched and assembled slightly out of alignment. I helped design some of the equipment that assemble's the six speed and a few parts of the the short block engine line. I was very impressed by Harley's concern over part quality. They are very meticulous, when compared to the big three, over accepting quality machines that operate with superb quality. The powder coating on the parts could not see one scratch or blemish. That's empressive. They are very concerned about quality. Unfortunately you may have got the one blemished part out of thousands that sneaked by the inspection process. Maybe it's just a small score or scratch on one of the gasket surfaces? Hard to tell? I am sure Harley will make it right for you! Good Luck. If it makes you feel any better, your concerns problems, and most importantly your purchase is helping America. I found out today that the street glides are 90 - 95 % US content. So your helping the economy with your purchase and your helping anyone else who may have a similar problem. Sorry got sentimental about America. Ride on USA! Ride on Harley Riders!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the latest update: I took it back to the dealer today and after looking at it, the service manager has agreed that it is not normal. He said he will be contacting HD to see if they want to put dye in the oil first to see for sure if it is engine oil vs. trans oil, or just tear it apart right away. So far so good I guess.

I am still uncomfortable that my new bike will be completely taken apart, and considered trying to request the engine be sent back to the factory to be re-assembled, kind of like HD's engine remanufacturing program. Then it occurred to me that the factory apparently didn't put it together right the first time ; perhaps I'm better off with an experienced tech at the dealer who I can actually talk to. This whole thing is a pain, but I guess if they make it right I don't have much to complain about.

Thanks again for all the responses.
What part of Illinois do live??? what dealer is doing the work?

I live in the Chicago area. The dealer is Wildfire HD in Villa Park. I bought from them after doing alot of research and going to all the dealers in my area. They came highly recommended from numerous people, particularly their service department, which was my greatest concern.

To date they have been polite, professional and sincere. If it was not for their staff, I would be exponentially more angry than I am about this whole situation. It is hard to stay mad where people remember your name, greet you with a smile, and try to fix the problems they themselves did not create.

I hope this all works out - but at least at this time I have nothing but nice things to say about my dealer.

Oil leakage or seepage is NOT normal. If they try to tell you that ask for an area rep from HD to look at the bike.

3000+ miles on my '09 FLHX. Doesn't leak a drop. My '03 Road King developed an oil leak right after I hit a deer. Didn't leak after it was fixed. Bulletproof only goes so far. Find a better dealer.:)

3000+ miles on my '09 FLHX. Doesn't leak a drop. My '03 Road King developed an oil leak right after I hit a deer. Didn't leak after it was fixed. Bulletproof only goes so far. Find a better dealer.:)

Hah! Moral of the story, in your case...watch out for those pesky deer, you never know what could come around the corner that could cause a leak. :small3d015:

Back