free website stats program Oil leak on 07 Softail FXST | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil leak on 07 Softail FXST

Well, took it back in, they are going to split th engine to fix it. Had to be pretty tough on the service manager to get anywhere... Problem is they are saying its gonna take 2-3 weeks to get it done...Kinda (edit) about that but I even called another local dealership and they gave me the same timeframe. Overall I'm just happy its getting fixed and wanted everyone here to know that if you have oil/tranny whatever coming out the hole on the top of the case..(vent hole/hole to pry engine apart) and your bike is under warrenty take it in and get it fixed. Do not settle for them putting gum...err Silicone in it to fix it. Be pushy and get it done right. I have a small bit of anxiety about them tearing my whole bike apart, but I guess its what they are trained for and if they muck it up, they fix it again. Not to mention I get a free oil change out of the deal Muahhaha!!...

Anyway, just wanted to share my good news and also let all you guys that may have had the same issue know that they WILL fix it if you are under warrenty.

Rampage-11

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you will get it fixed to bad it will tkae that long but ya have to do what ya got to do

The hole is not a vent; it is a place to insert at tool to split the cases. There is an o-ring inside that if pinched or left out will allow fluid to escape through the hole. The only way to fix it is to replace the o-ring. It could also be that the cased weren't sealed good with the Yamabond like material that the factory uses to seal the cases but my money is on the o-ring.

If you can live with the leak, you might want to reconsider letting the techs have at it. I don't know why it takes 2-3 weeks unless they are sending the bottom end out. If they are doing it in their shop, a week tops.

I just discovered the same leak on the wifes bike...(it was the google search that showed this thread actually)...same model/year, and pic could have came from my camera...wonder if this is gonna be a common prob among 07 ST's?
Course, didnt happen till a month out of factory warranty...do have extended though

i was a victim of a similar happening , after a ride of around 300 k's allowed bike to cool down and then washed it and after i dried it i noticed a shadow of an oil leaking in a similar area, and it appeared to come from the bottom of the cylinder, that was about 5 months ago and to this day no further leak. have clocked up about 2000k's since all is good, I am aware of it and check it always.. Local dealer said to check it and see if it happens again , they were unsure either,, my 2cents worth.

Back