free website stats program Oil leak on 07 Softail FXST | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil leak on 07 Softail FXST

Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I just wanted to get some advice on a problem I had with my bike.

When I bought the bike it had some oil residue on in that flatish area between the heads and the oil tank. I asked the seller about it and he said it was just dirty and his guy didnt clean it well enough. I figure no biggie I will clean it anyway reguardless if they had..

So I take it home, clean it, ride it..and I notice fresh oil puddled in that small area at the rear of the engine I THINK between the engine/tranny. It was right near that little rectangle hole. I could not figure out or see where the oil was coming from so I take it to HD(its still under warrenty till June). They have it for like 3 days and no matter what they do can not make it leak oil again. They did however put what looks like some type of silicone into the little rectagle hole to 'plug it'. They suggest taking it home, riding it, and see'in if it happens again... I'm in the process of doing that and have ridden about 300-400 miles... no more oil yet...

Sorry I do not have a photo, I didnt take one when I had the leak. My bike is a stock 2007 FXST Softail Standard with just over 2,000 miles.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do??

Thanks,

Rampage-11

Can you take a picture of where the oil WAS and this rectangular hole that you are referring to? Would help to see where the oil was accumulating.

TQ

Bike Picture.jpeg

Here is a generic picture of where the problem is. I do not have a picture from my bike, or an old one from where it was leaking....or a camera right now to take one. I hope this helps.

Generic.jpg

This is not my actual bike, but really shows what the 'oil' looked like and where it was, as well as what the 'rectangular hole' looks like.

Hope this helps.

Rampage-11

Last edited by a moderator:
thats the case and the split is where the whole is .. wipe it down clean it go for short ride .. come back and see if its comeing from the cylinder base even if you cant see it can always sprinkle baby powder on it to see if there is oil

Well thats half the problem, I can't get it to leak again since HD plugged the hole with some type of silicone, as I said, that picture is not from my bike, I will try the powder thing, but Im pretty sure its not leaked since I brought it back from the dealership.

Thanks for your input.

Rampage-11

Well, because they(my HD dealership) plugged up that little vent. Should there be any concern over things getting overpressurized? Like the gaskets or whatnot if this is a 'vent'?

I got this from another forum as a response...

What I've been told is, that this is a vent from the hollow compartment between the engine and tranny. The tranny supposedly has a casting ;lug in the front of it, inside of this hollow compartment. Tranny fluid will sometimes floow the threads of the tranny casting plug, into the cavity and then shows up around the vent. He then suggests to change the tranny fluid to Redline Shockproof heavy and forget about it and say's his bike has done this since day one.

Thoughts..?

Last edited:
i dont know if its a vent or not but overfilling will cause it to leak if it is .. you put in redline shock proof you will know for sure if its trans fluid

Okay, it leaked again tonight, around the silicone stuff and out of that 'vent hole'... Im going to take it to HD and demant it gets fixed. In my opinion a 07 Bike should NOT leak...period. I dont want to hear its comeing from thread holes or I should put in a different fluid to stop it..blah blah....Am I crazy? Unrealistic Expectations?

I think it should be fixed, not make excuses for..

Rampage-11

Back