Oil leak, looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by HogHappy, Aug 7, 2011.

1. HogHappy

HogHappy Member

I changed the oil in my Electra Glide Classic ,went for a ride and checked the level. Was fine. Came back in the morning and it had a oil spot about 3inches across. It was under the oil filter area, I thought maybe it was old oil that had spilled on the frame and then just dripped down Put some cardboard under it and it had a very small drip. Started it up and really didnt see any oil coming out . Put new cardboard under it and there is another small drip mark.
    So do you suppose I should tighten the oil filter even more or take it off and clean and check it or maybe buy a new filter and just replace it?
    Thanks in advance for your help. I have a trip in 4 days and dont want any problems.

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

I would get some type of cleaner like Simple Green and liberaly spray oil filter are especially underneath for there is a lot of areas for oil to lay.... then go from there. If there was a fault on the install of filter, it would probably be pumping oil every where. I would always use a HD O.E. filter clean engine surface for filter, fill new filter with fresh oil and lube gasket before installing...

3. Pilot77

Pilot77 New Member

Harley-Davidson dealerships sell oil change gasket kits. Thats what I would do. Buy the kit and change the gaskets.

4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Oil filter seal should have a light coating of clean oil on it prior to filter being fitted it helps the seal
    filter should be spun on with light pressure then tightened a further half turn usually done by hand this will compress the seal and should make it oil tight further tightening may deform the seal and cause an oil leak
    I had a similar issue with my softail which had sat for many years unused prior to my ownership and i found a small amount of corrosion on the oil filter fitting seat for the seal i polished the corrosion out to a smooth surface then all was ok
    However if there was a wee oil spill it can drip for weeks

Brian

5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Brian said what I wanted about the OIL and a wee bit will show for a long time IF Not cleaned like other posts mention..

Also Just a thought.. Look at your old filter and SEE IF the oil ring gasket is on it.. There have been times when the Old gasket COULD stuck on the housing and a double gasket was then used and Leaked....

I have had this Happen ONCE, long ago, Now I check every time...:D

signed....BUBBIE

6. Rubyred

Rubyred Senior Member

In addition to Bubbie's comments check that the gasket is flat and an even surface. I got a filter one time and the gasket was thicker in one spot and would not seat properly.

7. HogHappy

HogHappy Member

Well I let it run and checked for leaks and nothing, its when I ride then put it on its side stand that I get a drip on the garage floor. I did put oil on the new filter and there wasnt another left over gaskit from the old one.
    If I take off the filter to check it or replace how much oil will pour out? If I do it cold would that be better?

8. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Have you done the simple green spray of area to clean off all residual from changing filter in first place. Personally I would never remove oil filter and reinstall after engine has been run. I would get another filter first...

9. HogHappy

HogHappy Member

Well no drips on the garage floor this morning and I went on a short 4 mile ride to my daughters house and it sat for a good half hour and nothing on the ground. If there isnt anything new on the garage floor I will have to think it was old oil caught up on the frame from the change. When I took off the filter for the change it tipped forward and dumped alot of oil out.

Thanks for not judging me on something as simple as this, this is a great forum with a lot of guys and gals who love H.D. and really want to help.

10. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I always place a old shop-cloth under and right below the oil filter out of the way ,,, as to catch the Most of the oil that seems to get by the most careful changer..:D

Getting after someone for doing things I have done Is not the normal way I do things.. We have a great forum and Joking is one thing but Looking Into the Mirror is another.. SCARY as I can see that individual that messed it up on his last oil change..But the rag helped:D

We tell Know-one Else....:nosad

signed....BUBBIE