free website stats program Oil leak, looking for opinions | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil leak, looking for opinions

HogHappy

I changed the oil in my Electra Glide Classic ,went for a ride and checked the level. Was fine. Came back in the morning and it had a oil spot about 3inches across. It was under the oil filter area, I thought maybe it was old oil that had spilled on the frame and then just dripped down Put some cardboard under it and it had a very small drip. Started it up and really didnt see any oil coming out . Put new cardboard under it and there is another small drip mark.
So do you suppose I should tighten the oil filter even more or take it off and clean and check it or maybe buy a new filter and just replace it?
Thanks in advance for your help. I have a trip in 4 days and dont want any problems.

I would get some type of cleaner like Simple Green and liberaly spray oil filter are especially underneath for there is a lot of areas for oil to lay.... then go from there. If there was a fault on the install of filter, it would probably be pumping oil every where. I would always use a HD O.E. filter clean engine surface for filter, fill new filter with fresh oil and lube gasket before installing...

Harley-Davidson dealerships sell oil change gasket kits. Thats what I would do. Buy the kit and change the gaskets.

Oil filter seal should have a light coating of clean oil on it prior to filter being fitted it helps the seal
filter should be spun on with light pressure then tightened a further half turn usually done by hand this will compress the seal and should make it oil tight further tightening may deform the seal and cause an oil leak
I had a similar issue with my softail which had sat for many years unused prior to my ownership and i found a small amount of corrosion on the oil filter fitting seat for the seal i polished the corrosion out to a smooth surface then all was ok
However if there was a wee oil spill it can drip for weeks

Brian

Brian said what I wanted about the OIL and a wee bit will show for a long time IF Not cleaned like other posts mention..

Also Just a thought.. Look at your old filter and SEE IF the oil ring gasket is on it.. There have been times when the Old gasket COULD stuck on the housing and a double gasket was then used and Leaked....

I have had this Happen ONCE, long ago, Now I check every time...:D

signed....BUBBIE

In addition to Bubbie's comments check that the gasket is flat and an even surface. I got a filter one time and the gasket was thicker in one spot and would not seat properly.

Well I let it run and checked for leaks and nothing, its when I ride then put it on its side stand that I get a drip on the garage floor. I did put oil on the new filter and there wasnt another left over gaskit from the old one.
If I take off the filter to check it or replace how much oil will pour out? If I do it cold would that be better?

Well I let it run and checked for leaks and nothing, its when I ride then put it on its side stand that I get a drip on the garage floor. I did put oil on the new filter and there wasnt another left over gaskit from the old one.
If I take off the filter to check it or replace how much oil will pour out? If I do it cold would that be better?

Have you done the simple green spray of area to clean off all residual from changing filter in first place. Personally I would never remove oil filter and reinstall after engine has been run. I would get another filter first...

Well no drips on the garage floor this morning and I went on a short 4 mile ride to my daughters house and it sat for a good half hour and nothing on the ground. If there isnt anything new on the garage floor I will have to think it was old oil caught up on the frame from the change. When I took off the filter for the change it tipped forward and dumped alot of oil out.

Thanks for not judging me on something as simple as this, this is a great forum with a lot of guys and gals who love H.D. and really want to help.

Well no drips on the garage floor this morning and I went on a short 4 mile ride to my daughters house and it sat for a good half hour and nothing on the ground. If there isnt anything new on the garage floor I will have to think it was old oil caught up on the frame from the change. When I took off the filter for the change it tipped forward and dumped alot of oil out.

Thanks for not judging me on something as simple as this, this is a great forum with a lot of guys and gals who love H.D. and really want to help.

I always place a old shop-cloth under and right below the oil filter out of the way ,,, as to catch the Most of the oil that seems to get by the most careful changer..:D

Getting after someone for doing things I have done Is not the normal way I do things.. We have a great forum and Joking is one thing but Looking Into the Mirror is another.. SCARY as I can see that individual that messed it up on his last oil change..But the rag helped:D

We tell Know-one Else....:nosad

signed....BUBBIE

Back