free website stats program Oil leak from top of engine | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil leak from top of engine

Thanks... I will check it out.

But I am also thinking that a "gearwrench" (sold at Sears), with the proper hex bit may be a cheaper alternative... ;)

Mission accomplished.

I finally had enough time and I replaced the rubber seals on the rocker cover.
I removed the tank to get access to the screws. Thanks to the neat fuel supply hose fitting not a drop of fuel leaked and ((someone might tell me off for it) I didn't have to drain it.
The head screws came off easily enough apart from the left rear which was a bit difficult to access thanks to the top of the frame being in the way.
I am a little surprised however that HD chose to use these type of screws rather than bolts and that they are so small; I have bought chrome covers to hide them. (I believe that they are bigger on the big twins).
The main difficulty was the removal of the cover. I had to remove the plastic wiring support from the frame to be able to slide it out sidewise.
Replacing the seals was as easy as the rest of the operation as was the refitting together.
All told, with cleaning and stopping for a cup of tea (it was rather cold out there), a couple of hours well spent.
Following this little job, I have just one question, what's the wire coming out of the hole in the middle of the cylinder head for?
Once again thanks to all the hints, tips and advice on this forum and Gary's manual. I don't think I would have dared do it without all this help.

I wonder what's next!!!!!:D

Back