free website stats program oil leak from LR shock | Harley Davidson Forums

oil leak from LR shock

Trapshooter

My 011 SG w/2800 miles left a small puddle of oil on the floor. Appears to have come from the LR air shock. Not out of the fitting at the top but from the botom side. Anyone have this happen and is it possibe?

First thing I would do is clean the shock and the surrounding area real well and make sure where the oil is coming from. If it's coming out of the shock itself, it's time to replace it.

Usually they leak at the seal where the piston goes through shock body. With the big covers on the top of shock sometimes it hard to tell. I would bet on the inside side of shock nearest tire the oil is drizzling down the side and pooling at the bottom weld.

My buddies 2010 SG did the same thing. Harley was having problems with some shocks. They replaced his under warranty.

Friends 2011 RK same problem, Bought the bike new in Daytona, FL, less than 1600 miles later and the left rear shock started leaking. We where heading out on vacation when it started leaking, took it to dealer in Columbus, GA They replaced shock under warrenty no questions asked. Abour a 20-30 minute turn around time back on the road.

Friends 2011 RK same problem, Bought the bike new in Daytona, FL, less than 1600 miles later and the left rear shock started leaking. We where heading out on vacation when it started leaking, took it to dealer in Columbus, GA They replaced shock under warrenty no questions asked. Abour a 20-30 minute turn around time back on the road.

Sure hope you made mention of this here:

GOOD Dealers And Experiences - Harley Davidson Community

My buddies 2010 SG did the same thing. Harley was having problems with some shocks. They replaced his under warranty.

Took it to the dealer yesterday. They had to order the shock but it will be taken care of under warranty. He didn't really say but given the fact that all he did was run his hand under there to see if there was any oil, I suspect it's been an issue. All is good!

Back