free website stats program Oil Leak? Breather tube or transmission? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Leak? Breather tube or transmission?

Roklock

Hello,

'09 Fatboy...

I noticed tonight that I was having some oil drops where I park my bike, looks like it has been going on for at least three or four weeks.

I got a look under the bike and it is a line running down my shock on the primary side. It also looks gunky and slightly wet on the back side of the primary.

I checked my fluids (trany & engine) and both dipsticks say they are full? Where is this coming from if my tanks are full? I checked for a breather tube but couldn't find where it was routed.

Is this cause for concern this weekend? I am scheduled for my 10,000 mile service next Thursday.

Thanks in advance

Steve

If you sure it's oil and not gas, check the vent line on the transmission behind the inner primary.

Check the bottom of the engine case where they split, see if oil is present there. If it is check the torque values on the bolts holding the cases together at the bottom and rear of the of the engine.

Check the bottom of the engine case where they split, see if oil is present there. If it is check the torque values on the bolts holding the cases together at the bottom and rear of the of the engine.

HDDon, I will do this tonight...

Glider, I am 99.9% positive it is oil, it has the conistancy of oil and doesn't disapate like gas would off my fingers.

I did clean it up last night and rode to work this morning, I just got back in from checking and I see a line of oil running down the primary side shock and forming a drop at the back of it.

Since my two levels are still saying OK (at least per the sticks) will this small leak get worse with riding or will it be a slow leak. Got a big ride planned for Sunday and not sure if I should go or not.

Also if this is a serious thing my warranty runs out Aug 24th and I want to make sure they take care of it this coming Thursday.

This is another reason I run the lubes I do I can tell the oil from transmission lube and primary

I am running different lubes but will have to take a closer look at the colors tonight when I check the levels.

Spectro 6 Speed trans oil 75/140
Mobile 1 V-Twin
Formula +

I will definitely keep an eye on it just seems strange that my oil levels look good but I am losing oil. Maybe what I am losing looks like a lot more than what I am actually losing.

OK, put it up on a lift yesterday. To me it looks like it is coming out of the primary shaft, the sprocket for the belt was wet and had a drop forming on it. The whole area behind there looked "wet" with dirt and grime. Could the primary seal be going bad already? Is this a warranty item?

If you had to rank this for doing this yourself (beginner, intermediate, advanced) where would you put this job? I do have the service manual, which makes it look invovled.

Thanks,

Steve

OK, put it up on a lift yesterday. To me it looks like it is coming out of the primary shaft, the sprocket for the belt was wet and had a drop forming on it. The whole area behind there looked "wet" with dirt and grime. Could the primary seal be going bad already? Is this a warranty item?

If you had to rank this for doing this yourself (beginner, intermediate, advanced) where would you put this job? I do have the service manual, which makes it look invovled.

Thanks,

Steve

Could be a warranty issue depends on when you bought the bike I would check it out:s

If you have gone thru any sand or loose dirt it doesn't take much in this area to cause the seal to leak. If there is that much behind the drive pulley it is probably the trans seal. The fluid will look dark and it could be that the large nut holding the pulley on has come loose. Can you feel any looseness in the pulley?

Roklock,

Had the inner primary seal as well as the bearing go bad on my 08 Heritage with just over 16K on her. Local dealer repaired it at no cost to me even though I purchased the bike else where and had never had any services done there before so should not be a problem getting it done under warranty.

Good luck

Well the 10K service is done and it did end up being the main seal. Warranty covered that.

Hopefully it will last another 90K

Steve

Back