free website stats program oil leak around primary case | Harley Davidson Forums

oil leak around primary case

bertram1960

Hi ,

my first post
Ive got a 1992 flstc and has developed an oil leak which appears to come from behind the pimary case at the front where it attaches to the engine.
Is there a seal or gasket behind and whats required to repair such a leak.
I is loosing a reasonable amount of oil.

The inner primary as an "O" ring. It may be gone. I would also double check the torque on inner primary fasteners.

Hi

Sleddog thanks for the tip.
Went home last night and removed the primary cover and wow there it was !!
one bolt had come completely out and the secure locking tab was laying on the bottom of the primary case and the other bolt was also loose.
once again thanks for the tip.

Regards
Bertram1960

Hi

Sleddog thanks for the tip.
Went home last night and removed the primary cover and wow there it was !!
one bolt had come completely out and the secure locking tab was laying on the bottom of the primary case and the other bolt was also loose.
once again thanks for the tip.

Regards
Bertram1960

Bertram,

Hope you replaced that o-ring before you resecured the bolts. With all that loose, the inner primary cover was probably wallowin' around on the o-ring and may have damaged it enough to keep it leakin even with the bolts back. If you are still opened up, it would be a good idea to replace the main shaft oil seal and the seal on the starter shaft. It is all right there handy anyway.

TQ

TQ

Back