free website stats program Oil lamp light flikering | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil lamp light flikering

Coyote5

Started my bike for work this morning and the oil lamp came flickering on and off. I checked the oil level and it was fine. I didn't have time to get may manual and read what elase could it be.

Quick question if anyone knows...does the oil lamp have a sensor for the trans and primary oil? I'm thinking maybe this is the problem.

:bigsmiley6:

The oil lamp is only for the engine oil. Have you serviced the bike recently?

I would check the oil pressure with a gauge before going any further, it could be a bad sending unit.

Thanks...oil gauge on bike reads normal. Had the bike serviced a year ago. Hopefully, the sending unit is the culprit and easy to replace.

Thanks!

Ok...after checking the oil pressure (which is fine), I've now going to replace the oil sending unit and sensor.

Manual says to use a Snap-on crow foot 1-1/16" wrench for the sending unit It still looks like a tight place to work in and around the frame, pipes and oil filter. Any suggestions, that the manual does not mention, to make this job go easier?

:worthy

Coyote,

Hope you have figured out your flicker by now.

I have an '03 UC and had that sort of problem too. Changed out the sending unit cause it was the easiest thing to do (and yes, you really do need that crow foot tool to get at it with the front pipe on since that sending unit is the big one). Not the end of my problem. Got one of those stiffer springs (Baisley) for the pressure relief slider for the oil pump. When I opened up the nose cone (side cover), there was bits and pieces of the cam chain spring tensioner everywhere. So if your light is still flickering after changing out the sending unit, pull the side cover and see what it looks like. I pulled the front pipe to do this, but I have read that some guys have been able to do the job with cut down allens.

TQ

Baisley Hi-Performance
5511 N. Interstate Ave.
Portland, OR 97217
(503) 289-1251 Fax: (503) 286-4980
[email removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
TQ

I replaced my sending unit and still got a flikering oil lamp. You're right...a crow foot wench is the only thing you can use. I did try a 1-1/16" deep socket, but couldn't get it over the rest of sending unit.

I believe I may have the same problem you did. I'm not sure what you mean by the nose cone and side cover. Can you expand on what you did and how you did it?

C5

TQ

I'm not sure what you mean by the nose cone and side cover. Can you expand on what you did and how you did it?

C5

That's the part of the motor that sticks out next to the floor board on the right side sitting on the bike behind the front exhaust header.

ced3_12_sb_39_1.JPG

Just went through the same scenerio on mine. Instead of the Baisley, I used Zippers shim with a new HD spring. Hot idle pressure is now about 28-30 psi (Phoenix summer) but at speed pressure is reading upwards of 52 psi. Would this be considered excessive oil pressure and what would be the result?

For my bike (02 Ultra) that would not be the recommended oil pressure. Your's sounds too high (52 psi) and too low (28-30 psi). If I recall, the proper oil pressure for my bike is around 32-38 psi at 2000 rpm reved and around 5-8 psi at idle and while at operating temp.

What the manual saids if you are not operating within the range that they recommended, you could have insufficient lubrication within you engine.

:small3d015:

Back