free website stats program Oil in the Primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil in the Primary

e7171

I have an 84 FXR (early model) with a dry clutch. I am getting oil in the primary. About a pint within an hour of shutting it down.

Looks like it is coming from the crankcase under the rotor. I don't think this is normal but I might be wrong. I had a guy tell me that it should have 1 1/2 quarts of oil in the primary but it is a dry clutch. I had cleaned the inside of the primary and got it dry which is when I noticed a seep in this area.

I am thinking maybe the crankcase oil seal needs replacing. The bike has 55k on it.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

That sounds like the problem. Only thing is you have to pull the primary/alternator apart to get at the seal. Check your engine oil to see if it is low for sure.

Thanks Glider.......Yes it is going down in the oil tank.

Do I really need to buy that special "HD tool" to remove the seal or is there another way to do it that you know of?

You could buy the tool or even borrow it from someone but be careful if you try it without the tool. One slip and you have a big problem if you damage the case.

On a 84 motor the little clip thay holds the stator wires must be in because its drilled all the way thru the case and leaks like a sive when not in so check it ,jel

Back