free website stats program oil in filter@ change | Harley Davidson Forums

oil in filter@ change

a buddy of mine always puts oil in his new filter (t-cam), claiming that you don'tget full pressure for 10-20 seconds while oil fills filter, while this is true,i feel it unnessary (ya just warmed up the bike). residual oil should be plenty upon start up. any commets?

I always pour oil in filter before install...........Just makes me feel better.
Don't know if really necessary but I do it anyway.

I've been told it helps eliminate a large pocket of air in the system when starting. Don't know if that's true, but I do it anyway.Just me feeling better?
tourbox

I always add oil to the filter. This way the filter is at least half full on the start up and cuts down on the time you're running without full oil flow resulting in less wear. Your oil filter has to fill up before the oil is flowing to the rest of the engine.

May only be a second or two of time but it's worth it to me. And having full oil flow faster at start-up is why oil filters come with an anti-drain back feature which is especially important if the filter is mounted sideways or upside down.

I always add oil to the filter. This way the filter is at least half full on the start up and cuts down on the time you're running without full oil flow resulting in less wear. Your oil filter has to fill up before the oil is flowing to the rest of the engine.

May only be a second or two of time but it's worth it to me. And having full oil flow faster at start-up is why oil filters come with an anti-drain back feature which is especially important if the filter is mounted sideways or upside down.

Right on.... oldhippie
It IS your bike and do it YOUR way...

When starting MY BIKE, I Want the oil light not only to go out right away BUT Full Oil pressure when it STARTS...

STARTING of any motor without a PRE Pressure system of oil flow is The WORST Wear time on it.

My opinion and Engineering Opinions also...

Even they say Start Up time is Wear Time...

so IT is your choise, Mine is do All I can short of a side oil pump like on the Old bikes of yester year... Only getting oil when motor Rattled ,,,,Then you hand pumped some in:newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

Right on.... oldhippie
It IS your bike and do it YOUR way...

When starting MY BIKE, I Want the oil light not only to go out right away BUT Full Oil pressure when it STARTS...

STARTING of any motor without a PRE Pressure system of oil flow is The WORST Wear time on it.

My opinion and Engineering Opinions also...

Even they say Start Up time is Wear Time...

so IT is your choise, Mine is do All I can short of a side oil pump like on the Old bikes of yester year... Only getting oil when motor Rattled ,,,,Then you hand pumped some in:newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

Hey BUBBIE - just a quick question - IF you install a new oil filter filled with oil, won't you have the same problem as removing the old filter that is full of oil - spillage??

Bill

I always fill the oil filter prior to fitting if it is left to sit for a few moments the the filter media will soak up most of the oil so that when you look in it seems to be almost empty
That is when to fit it no oil spill and oil up to pressure much quicker

Brian

I think I'll start to do this too but just wondering would it be advantagious to spin the tire while in gear on the lift to circulate oil before starting?

I think I'll start to do this too but just wondering would it be advantagious to spin the tire while in gear on the lift to circulate oil before starting?

If you remove the spark plugs to make it easier to turn the engine over it should help move some oil around prior to starting

Brian

I always fill the oil filter prior to fitting if it is left to sit for a few moments the the filter media will soak up most of the oil so that when you look in it seems to be almost empty
That is when to fit it no oil spill and oil up to pressure much quicker

Brian

Hey BUBBIE - just a quick question - IF you install a new oil filter filled with oil, won't you have the same problem as removing the old filter that is full of oil - spillage??

Bill

Bill,

Doing it Brians way, is kinda My way also.... and No oil spill...

I fill the filter UP to the threads ONCE, Dab a little oil onto the "0" ring,,, let it stand for a little....
NO oil spilling when you fit it on...:D Just like Brian said.

Just don't turn it too far UP at the rear OR Oil Will get out.:34:

signed....BUBBIE

Back