free website stats program oil in breather | Harley Davidson Forums

oil in breather

al bell

hi,al from ontario canada here. my question is i have a 07 roadking with 11,000 miles on it and i,am getting oil in my breather. oil level is right where it is suppost to be half way on the dipstick when cold.any ideas of why this is happening and any dyi fixes.thank,you

With only 11K miles, ring seal shouldn't be an issue but a comression and leakdown test will confirm. Some will tell you to run your oil level 1/2 quart low but I have never subscribe to that approach.

Make sure your air filter is clean. You could replace the head breathers with the units that were upgrade in 2010; some have reported that those breathers have reduced blow by.

I vent breathers to the atmosphere; releaves crank case pressure and vents any oil mist to a catch can that separates the oil from the mist before the mist exits into the atmosphere. I don't want the oil mist recirculated back into the combustion chamber via the OEM internal breathers.

As Tank points out, blow by on the TC engine is a reality; some blow by more than others and there are different ways to handle it.

This could be a misaligned oil pump issue also, oil in the breather is a common problem with Twin Cams after hard and long distance riding, Dolt suggests checking your breather hoses, I agree, they can and will collapse

With only 11K miles, ring seal shouldn't be an issue but a comression and leakdown test will confirm. Some will tell you to run your oil level 1/2 quart low but I have never subscribe to that approach.

Make sure your air filter is clean. You could replace the head breathers with the units that were upgrade in 2010; some have reported that those breathers have reduced blow by.

I vent breathers to the atmosphere; releaves crank case pressure and vents any oil mist to a catch can that separates the oil from the mist before the mist exits into the atmosphere. I don't want the oil mist recirculated back into the combustion chamber via the OEM internal breathers.

As Tank points out, blow by on the TC engine is a reality; some blow by more than others and there are different ways to handle it.

I think Dolt has you covered here. First check the AC and clean or replace. I am a firm believer in venting to the atmosphere, it works on my Evo and I have been fortunate with the TC as it has not been a problem yet.

This could be a misaligned oil pump issue also, oil in the breather is a common problem with Twin Cams after hard and long distance riding, Dolt suggests checking your breather hoses, I agree, they can and will collapse

hmmmm i'm thinking here if he has excessive crankshaft runout would that be about the same as a misaligned oil pump?07 was not a good year for crankshafts (or 03 for that matter i just replaced mine due to run out)

hmmmm i'm thinking here if he has excessive crankshaft runout would that be about the same as a misaligned oil pump?07 was not a good year for crankshafts (or 03 for that matter i just replaced mine due to run out)

Big difference between '03 and '07 cranks, although you are correct about '07being an anomaly. Any crank can be tweaked with enough abuse; however, the '03 crank did not have any inherent quality control issues like the '07. You were probably just unlucky.

Big difference between '03 and '07 cranks, although you are correct about '07being an anomaly. Any crank can be tweaked with enough abuse; however, the '03 crank did not have any inherent quality control issues like the '07. You were probably just unlucky.

yea i'm guessing i'm unlucky also,i installed the forged SE crankshaft i sure hope my luck turns around i can't afford to keep buying crank shafts lol

Back