free website stats program oil housing | Harley Davidson Forums

oil housing

rydahog

so i went to dlr for my "complentary" 500 mi oil and filter change,,
upon leaving the TECH? comes over to me and tells me that the 2 plugs on the oil filter housing,(looks like allen/hex bolts) are, in his words "weeping" and that they tried some tape/or dope. I guess like Teflon or plumbers dope? and that they are going to get new ones and that they are hard to :TORQUE down??
when they come in they will install them at my 1000 mi service.
So i say well how much oil is coming outta this? he says,,its weeping just a little bit,,its like wet but its ok?
when i got home i felt the bolts and they felt "damp" but no visual oil or wetness. sorta of weird,,something feels wet but isnt/ so any suggestions folks?? thanks..ryd.:newsmile049:

===============================================

I was also wondering are they trying to get me back for this $250-300 service as a ploy?

Last edited by a moderator:
so i went to dlr for my "complentary" 500 mi oil and filter change,,
upon leaving the TECH? comes over to me and tells me that the 2 plugs on the oil filter housing,(looks like allen/hex bolts) are, in his words "weeping" and that they tried some tape/or dope. I guess like Teflon or plumbers dope? and that they are going to get new ones and that they are hard to :TORQUE down??
So i say well how much oil is coming outta this? he says,,its weeping just a little bit,,its like wet but its ok?
when i got home i felt the bolts and they felt "damp" but no visual oil or wetness. sorta of weird,,something feels wet but isnt/ so any suggestions folks?? thanks..ryd.:newsmile049:

===============================================

I was also wondering are they trying to get me back for this $250-300 service as a ploy?

Keep an eye on the leak, they need to fix this under warranty period:s

so i went to dlr for my "complentary" 500 mi oil and filter change,, upon leaving the TECH? comes over to me and tells me that the 2 plugs on the oil filter housing,(looks like allen/hex bolts) are, in his words "weeping" and that they tried some tape/or dope. I guess like Teflon or plumbers dope? and that they are going to get new ones and that they are hard to :TORQUE down??

Definitely keep an eye on that. I assume this is a new bike. Those plugs sound like the cast plugs. It may be nothing but defective threads on the plugs, but I were you and they start leaking any more at all, I would take it back to them and make them fix sooner. It couldn't take more than 5 days to order in new plugs at the most. Hopefully it is the plugs and not the filter adaptor housing.

Definitely keep an eye on that. I assume this is a new bike. Those plugs sound like the cast plugs. It may be nothing but defective threads on the plugs, but I were you and they start leaking any more at all, I would take it back to them and make them fix sooner. It couldn't take more than 5 days to order in new plugs at the most. Hopefully it is the plugs and not the filter adaptor housing.

Thanks for the reply, it is the 2 cast plug in the housing, i will keep a close eye on this, this is apparently what the "young" tech was trying to tell me, but i guess he didn't know the terminology..? will keep you updated ..later ryd

Weeping "implies" wet, but not dripping. As others have said, make sure if this is a warranty issue, that the service work order had it down "-in writing." just to insure future claim if the defect fix is expensive...worst case would be the case housing with a porous casting...not just the cast plugs.:s

Got the "weeping" cast oil filter plugs replaced under warranty..seems to be ok , i will keep a close eye this,,thanks all,,,ryd:D

Back