oil housing

Discussion in 'Oil' started by rydahog, Feb 24, 2011.

1. rydahog

rydahog Active Member

so i went to dlr for my "complentary" 500 mi oil and filter change,,
    upon leaving the TECH? comes over to me and tells me that the 2 plugs on the oil filter housing,(looks like allen/hex bolts) are, in his words "weeping" and that they tried some tape/or dope. I guess like Teflon or plumbers dope? and that they are going to get new ones and that they are hard to :TORQUE down??
    when they come in they will install them at my 1000 mi service.
    So i say well how much oil is coming outta this? he says,,its weeping just a little bit,,its like wet but its ok?
    when i got home i felt the bolts and they felt "damp" but no visual oil or wetness. sorta of weird,,something feels wet but isnt/ so any suggestions folks?? thanks..ryd.:newsmile049:

===============================================

I was also wondering are they trying to get me back for this $250-300 service as a ploy?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2011
  2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Keep an eye on the leak, they need to fix this under warranty period:s

3. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

Definitely keep an eye on that. I assume this is a new bike. Those plugs sound like the cast plugs. It may be nothing but defective threads on the plugs, but I were you and they start leaking any more at all, I would take it back to them and make them fix sooner. It couldn't take more than 5 days to order in new plugs at the most. Hopefully it is the plugs and not the filter adaptor housing.

4. rydahog

rydahog Active Member

Thanks for the reply, it is the 2 cast plug in the housing, i will keep a close eye on this, this is apparently what the "young" tech was trying to tell me, but i guess he didn't know the terminology..? will keep you updated ..later ryd

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Weeping "implies" wet, but not dripping. As others have said, make sure if this is a warranty issue, that the service work order had it down "-in writing." just to insure future claim if the defect fix is expensive...worst case would be the case housing with a porous casting...not just the cast plugs.:s

6. rydahog

rydahog Active Member

Got the "weeping" cast oil filter plugs replaced under warranty..seems to be ok , i will keep a close eye this,,thanks all,,,ryd:D