free website stats program Oil Filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Filter

I have a 2003 road king. Can anybody tell me what number a chrome oil filter would be from Wal-mart? Live pretty far from dealer and my dad say that they carry the chrome filters. Ours don't but he was going to be coming up and said he would pick me one up but don't know the number. Thanks in advance for your help

Most riders go to their friendly HD dealer and plunk down 9.99 for Chrome one for their rides verses all other vendors of oil filters combined. Check the polls to be sure, so the real deal is why save money on routine maintenance items when doing the labor you already save at almost 70%...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil/1759-oil_filter_poll.html

Choosing not to take short cuts on materials, as materials are modest percentage of the overall potential for savings. There are HD discounters locally and on the Internet. Non-or unknown brand discount parts are of questionable nature and quality spotty and may be no bargain if looking over the long term use of your bike, but it is your ride and you decide...

Last edited:
I have a 2003 road king. Can anybody tell me what number a chrome oil filter would be from Wal-mart? Live pretty far from dealer and my dad say that they carry the chrome filters. Ours don't but he was going to be coming up and said he would pick me one up but don't know the number. Thanks in advance for your help

Wal-mart does NOT sell a filter that meets the specifications required for your TC engine. The HD filter is rated down to 5 microns. I have not been able to locate a comparable filter from other sources. Your best bet is to have your Dad pick you up a few filters from a HD Dealership on his way. If not, you can order them on-line from Zanotti's, Biker Bob's, Chicago HD, Surdyke, etc. Just do not use any filter not rated to HD specs. The concern is for the cooling jets that spray the underside of the pistons once the oil pressure gets over 7-12 psi and opens the check valve in the sprayers.

TQ

Like others have said I would use a genuine H-D but if you insist Fram part # PH6022 Black part # PH6065B chrome

Fram filters are not very good MC filters . I have read on other forums about the filtering material in the Fram filter coming apart & going into the oil . I would not even consider using a Fram filter on the automobile what alone putting a Fram on the MC , JMO .

Unless you have a VERY good reason why you need an aftermarket filter, I would stick with the ones HD sells at the dealers.

They are not too expensive, and work well.

I'd make a list to make it worth my while and ride to my Dealer and get a couple of filters. Or order some like TQuentin sez, I have ordered parts from Surdyke and got em in a couplea days. It isn't worth the risk to run anything but a Genuine HD Filter on your bike.

H D filter always, beware of Fram, the paper element is glued and sometimes the glue comes undone and guess where it goes

Using a wrong filter on your bike is asking for trouble. Why take a chance on something like that...it may wind up costing alot more than a truckload of filters would if you have an engine failure.

Back