free website stats program Oil filter question | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil filter question

Redman

Went to change oil on Sunday and realized after draining old oil I didnt have my filter wrench...loaned to a friend last fall. So I proceeded oil change without changing filter. Filter is new and has about 30 miles on it from my 1000 mile change last fall. My concern is that it had syn 3 in it for the winter and after reading about this lubricant I wanted to change out immediately...just hope I havent messed up by leaving old(yet new)filter in. Seems to run fine and oil level is all good...just checkin as this is a new bike with only 1200 miles on it. Dont want to do any damage. Thanks in advance for your help.:small3d028:

Went to change oil on Sunday and realized after draining old oil I didnt have my filter wrench...loaned to a friend last fall. So I proceeded oil change without changing filter. Filter is new and has about 30 miles on it from my 1000 mile change last fall. My concern is that it had syn 3 in it for the winter and after reading about this lubricant I wanted to change out immediately...just hope I havent messed up by leaving old(yet new)filter in. Seems to run fine and oil level is all good...just checkin as this is a new bike with only 1200 miles on it. Dont want to do any damage. Thanks in advance for your help.:small3d028:

Should be fine. Assume you changed your old oil (SYN3) to a premium full synthetic 20W50 engine oil? These are fully compatible with the dino oils, so the pint or so in the filter plus the rest that does not drain out will be nicely blended with the full synthetic. You might schedule your next change a bit early (depending on what you planned) and change once you run about 2,500 miles on this oil. At that point, change both the filter AND oil.

TQ

Yep, switched to Mobil1 full syn vtwin...autozone for 7.85 seems to be the most accesable and gets good reviews...Thanks for your input...much appreciated:small3d028:

Yep, switched to Mobil1 full syn vtwin...autozone for 7.85 seems to be the most accesable and gets good reviews...Thanks for your input...much appreciated:small3d028:

great price on the vtwin its 9.78 here at autozone

Man, you guys have it good! Mobil 1 20W50 V Twin full syn is $15.95 a litre up here. Amsoil is $19.95!!

Went to change oil on Sunday and realized after draining old oil I didnt have my filter wrench...loaned to a friend last fall.

As long as you're 100% sure you have a new filter to put on and you don't mind trashing the old one, a long bladed screwdriver carefully hammered through the filter gives you good leverage for removing. Be certain you are far enough away from the fitting that there's NO chance of hitting anything but filter and go slowly so it doesn't pop out the other side so forcefully as to do damage. Works in a pinch.

Hobbit & Dr Dolittle have the non-wrench screwdriver top-secret backyard mechanic method...gehzenheit!!! :newsmile053: BTW it also works for the super smooth chrome ones without the flutes or nut at the end of the filter ones. Use the 2 or 3 jaw type for the smooth ones is pretty handy as my "universal" filter wrench.

Last edited:
Like I said Jammr, you guys have it good. Don't understand why Mobil 1 and Amsoil should cost so much more in Canada than the US.

Back