Votes: 18 1.6%
  • Hastings Filter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mobil Filter

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • OTHER (Please specify)

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
thought about using K&N but then i know how hard a time the dealers are going to give me when i take it in for warranty,

Hi, I know this is a rather old link, but I e-mailed Mark who is the OIL FILTER GURU and just got a response from him saying that K&N uses a chinese manufacturer (I'm chinese and do not take offense) and knows 4 instances where the internal element COLLAPSED...! So I take that as a no for the K&N oil filter, (I have liked & used their air filters, though there are plenty of vendors out there for them)...sounds like a poll on air filters is also in order hmmm? :newsmile020:

Take a look at the comparisons for the different filters here.

Oil Filter Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

Mark Lawrence at the link above had a wealth of tech info on oil filters. He responded to my inquiry about the HD Premium 5 Micron...He said " -- The new Harley filter is excellent, or Pure One or Supertech." :bigsmiley11:

As for the K&N Filter - the one with the nut on the end? " --K&N motorcycle filters are made by Hi-Flo, a Chinese company. :s [I am ABC (American Born Chinese) not FOB (Fresh Off Boat) & took no offense]:p
I know of four cases where K&N or Hi-Flo filters have collapsed inside, cutting off all oil flow." :small3d031:

What about the standard HD Oil Filter? " -- The standard Harley filter is just normal jxxx, I neither know nor care who makes it, it's only redeeming quality is that you can get it in chrome." :newsmile055:

I guess we have a clear winner here, but as the saying goes..."Let the buyer beware" (I did not brush up on my Latin). :D

Most often, I grab the HD filter, but I'll also get the chrome Fram filter if I'm in the auto store and remember it. An oil filter is really hard to judge the difference between one from another.

I use a Pure Power lifetime billet Aluminum filter with stainless element.

The smallest particles most popular "full Flow" filters capture with high efficiency are sized 25 to 40 Microns, depending on the filter brand.
The TC engines use a 5 micron rating and as such the "full flow" filter may have an advantage as far as serviceability and reuse but as far as filtering goes, there's better.

K&N is the only way to go............that welded 14mm nut on the end is a miracle when doing your own services.

Steve

That's why I use the HD filters. They are 5 micron rated and I believe the K&N are 20 micron which isn't suggested for the newer engines..

Last edited:
Here's something more to think about.
Todays oil, due to emission requirements, is designed to keep combustion related contaminates in suspension within the oil as it circulates.
The main contaminate created are carbon and soot particles...which are also responsible for making your oil black as it gets more miles on it.
The more efficient your filter is, the more of these suspended particles it will remove and trap in the filter media as it passes thru. Hence, a 5 micron rated filter is much better than a 20 micron rated filter.
Keep in mind, carbon is a very hard substance. It will damage bearings, and score crankshaft journals and cylinder walls.
It is in the best intrest of your engine...(and your wallet)...to remove as many of these particles as possible.

Back