Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mobil Filter

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • OTHER (Please specify)

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters

glider.

BOT Machine
Let's see what's being used as far as oil filters.

Feel free to give your comments on it also but please post in the proper forum for asking a question about filters. This section is just for gathering info on the filters themselves.

Also take a look at the filter comparisons here.

Oil Filter Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
mech. at the shop said k&n was better.....it was a dollar more, don't really care about that, and I don't know how to tell if one filter is better than another, and don't know if he can either...but I liked the nut on the end of the filter. guess now i don't need my "special" Harley oil filter wrench with the notch cut in the side.:rr

mech. at the shop said k&n was better.....it was a dollar more, don't really care about that, and I don't know how to tell if one filter is better than another, and don't know if he can either...but I liked the nut on the end of the filter. guess now i don't need my "special" Harley oil filter wrench with the notch cut in the side.:rr
I've always used the HD filters because I feel the HD filters were specked for the engines by the manufacturer even thou it probably goes out to the lowest bidder to be made, the company still has to stand behind them if a problem pops up. That's all the dealers would have to see if you are still under warrantee is a aftermarket filter. They could give you a hard enough time without you furnishing the ammo for them.
There is a big difference between filters of different brands. The bypass spring in itself will allow the oil to circulate unfiltered if it isn't the proper opening pressure, not to mention the filter media size and the make up of the filter itself. The nut on the K&N is nice but I still lean towards the HD filters, I sleep better at night:D

Take a look at this post, especially the first link...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/903-oil_filter_comparisons.html#post4339

The biggest problem with amsoil products is getting them, especially on the road if you need some while away from home. The popular brands are available in most auto supply houses or at a HD dealer.

i use the 5
micron H-D filters i will switch to ams oil filters after the warranty is up:s

Last edited:
Back