free website stats program Oil Filter, Long vs. short | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Filter, Long vs. short

MBHD93

I ride a 93 FXDL which uses the longer oil filter. My local stealer no longer carries them. He says the short one will work just fine. Does anyone have any hard facts to support or dispute this? I have tons of opinions from local folks, but no one seems to know for sure.
Thanks

It's alway's nice to have the option of a larger filter but the smaller one will work just fine.

Don't know for this specific filter, but many long filters do not have the filter element go all the way to to the end...so the advantage may not be as great as what the long filter housing may be covering up. Probably just fine...I wouldn't sweat it. :s

The longer filter will allow for an increase of oil capacity and additional cooling as the oil is in the airflow for a wee bit longer
It is not a lot of cooling or extra oil but at times every bit helps
i always use the longer filter on my dyna and the shorter filter on softail and sportster
Hd part number for extra long chrome oil filter 63813-90

Brian

The longer filters would work on Dyna and Sporster models 63812-90 is the black one 63813-90 is chrome, these fit Evo models looks like your dealer does not want to push evo filters any more check another dealer

Back