free website stats program Oil Filter Change Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Filter Change Question

Hello All, when I bought my '09 Sporty 1200 in June the dealer had already done the 5000 mile service. Seeing as how the hottest days of summer were ahead they put straight 50 weight oil in it. Now, seeing as how fall is almost here and temps are dropping into the 50's and 60's at nite, and no more 80's daytime, I would like to switch to 20W50. My owners manual recommends changing oil AND filter at 5000 mi. intervals. I've only put 1500 miles on it since June. Do you guys foresee any problems in just changing the oil and NOT the filter. FYI, I was a heavy-equipment mechanic for 22 yrs. and I think it'll be fine, BUT, this is my first H-D. Your thoughts? Regards, Low Sporty

Your filter is the only line of defense in keeping your oil free of contaminants I always change the filter. I consider it cheap insurance.

I think perhaps you asked the question knowing what the reply would most likely be
Most of the time on this forum you will get the answer that makes most sense and is safe for you and the bike

Brian

I cut the filter last time I changed mine. What I noticed was not that there were particles or such in the pleats, but that the fabric of the filter had thin spots, or maybe de-lamination of the fabric. That was at 5000 miles. I am convinced of the need to go to 2500 miles now. That was an HD filter.

Thanks, 676 and Glider! Tango, that's good to know! I had no intention of waiting till 5000 miles. I was going to change it at 3000. Regards, Low Sporty

I cut the filter last time I changed mine. What I noticed was not that there were particles or such in the pleats, but that the fabric of the filter had thin spots, or maybe de-lamination of the fabric. That was at 5000 miles. I am convinced of the need to go to 2500 miles now. That was an HD filter.

I do both bikes '94FLSTC and '05FLTRI at 3000mi. I drop all fluids and filter. I got 160,000mi on the Heritage before I did the reman program, and the RG has 65,000mi with good compression and no problems. The oil is the life blood of the engine and dropping the primary and trans is again is just cheap insurance.

Considering what that filter already has trapped inside I would never run new oil with an old filter:s

Back