free website stats program Oil Evacuator | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Evacuator

bigcletus

I'm in the process of buying an oil evacuator, a Mityvac, to use for my car's oil changes. The filter is in the engine compartment and other owners swear by them.
Has anyone any experience with these in Harleys?? Downsides??
Thanks

Mityvac is pretty good device, but rather pricey product. You can get a more durable metal version from Harbor Freight at 1/3 the price.

We don't have Haror Frieght in Canada but we do have Princess Auto, much the same stuff. Give them a try.
kemo

I just checked Princess Auto and they do have a couple of models. I was a little leery of these oil evacuators, but reading of a experience of one owner, who had been told that these things don't work and leave old oil in the engine, he did an old fashioned oil change, let her drain for a long time. Put the plug in and then put the vacuum in: he drained a further 1/2 cup of old oil out. At this point in time, I'm convinced they, more or less, work as advertised. I know on my touring model it's really not that difficult to change the oil, but, hey, I'm getting older. Convenience is GOOD!
Cheers

Like Jack I use an air operated vacumm pump for doing power steering and differentials and transmissions. The one that I use the most is a 5 gallon tank unit. I have a small hand held unit that I use for bleeding brakes.
kemo

Mityvac is pretty good device, but rather pricey product. You can get a more durable metal version from Harbor Freight at 1/3 the price.

Not sure what anyone calls pricey anymore but I purchased a Mity Vac at the local Autozone last week for $29.00 and change. I asked the counter guy if they had a device that pulled a vacuum. He said I could get it at Walmart or Home Depot. I asked if he meant a shop vacuum. Ya, that is where I got mine. I explained that I was looking for a Mity Vac and I thought they sold them there. He said he never heard of it and he had been working there 3 years. He then asked a girl who was taking money if she ever heard of a Mity Vac and she said no. So I start walking up and down the aisles and low and behold I came across the Mity Vac. It is packaged in a plastic box and carries the logo OEM on the label. I took it up to pay for it and they both said they didn't know they sold a Mity Vac. Anyway, Autozone has them for $29.00 if you can find them. It does have all the little plastic parts for different orifices you need. A good deal! Mine pulls 26 inches of vacuum, which is probably plenty for whatever you are going to use it for.

I purchased a Mity Vac at the local Autozone last week for $29.00 and change. I asked the counter guy if they had a device that pulled a vacuum. He said ...............

That's a Funny story. Did they offer you a Job?:)

Back