free website stats program Oil Drip from Stator Plug | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Drip from Stator Plug

Butch

I have a '99 Ultra-glide and I'm noticing a slight (for now) drip of oil coming from the stator plug, at the case. Nothing big, a drop makes it to the garage floor every couple of days. The front of the case at the plug is oil wet but not anything major. Oil levels are normal and at this point it's more a nuisance than a big deal.

Anyway, to me this seems a little odd to be considered normal age, is there a seal near or behind the stator I'll need to replace? I have the HD manual and can't see anything in there about a seal either at the stator or overhauling the lower end sections. Any enlightenment could help thanks.

Butch

I had an evo with the same problem and what I found is a small "O" ring that was rather thin that can be stretched a just a bit to fit over the plug and then tuck it in between the plug and the case solved it for me. I used an ice cream stick so I didn't damage the "O" ring to tuck it in. Sure beats taking it apart.

Butch

I had an evo with the same problem and what I found is a small "O" ring that was rather thin that can be stretched a just a bit to fit over the plug and then tuck it in between the plug and the case solved it for me. I used an ice cream stick so I didn't damage the "O" ring to tuck it in. Sure beats taking it apart.
Do'h! What a great idea!

It would be easier to slip an o-ring over the plug than rip the whole primary apart. And, it'll be a more permant fix than my thought of using high temp rtv to seal the plug.

Thanks glider, you rock!

Thanks...

It worked real good when I did it, just find a thin ring and coax it in there nice and easy.

Do'h! What a great idea!

It would be easier to slip an o-ring over the plug than rip the whole primary apart. And, it'll be a more permant fix than my thought of using high temp rtv to seal the plug.

Thanks glider, you rock!

Yep, What Glider said. The O ring is a great idea!

Now before I used this forum I had the same problem with my 90 evo engine and the plug seemed loose in the housing so I used the Gray High Performance Sealer from Harley as it was closest color to case and I forced it down between connector and case and wiped off excess and it worked for two years until I replaced stator.

Is it normal for the wire comming from the stator that goes to the regulator have oil in it??? A friend of mine unpluged the two and had oil come out of the plug and it appears to by comming from the stator side.

Back