free website stats program Oil drained to bottom end | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil drained to bottom end

i.c.clearly

After storing my 1991 Heritage for 18 months, all of the oil has drained from the oil tank to the bottom end. I would appreciate any advice on how to correct this problem.

Happened with my Buell. But, you were smart enough to figure it out!

Just drain it and refill. It was suggested to me to put some MMO, marvel Mystery Oil in the oil to clean up the check valve.

Cheers

Excellent way to go with the MMO. It will clean up any oily residue in the check ball area. Normally you can crank the engine and it will pump the oil back into the tank but I would pull and ground the hi tension coil wire first because if it started up, you would get oil coming out of places that you didn't know existed.

That'll happen when stored,the oil will seep past the oil pump check ball and drain your tank. Your 91 is a bottom breather and if you still have the crankcase breather hose going to the air cleaner, disconnect it from the air cleaner into a catch can, crank the engine over and it'll puke up to a quart usually 1/2 a quart or so from the crankcase vent into the catch can the rest will return to the oil tank. The only way I know of to stop the oil from sumping into into the crankcase when being stored is to drain the oil tank or pinch the oil line, I'm not a fan of pinching off the oil line for extended periods tho.
Hope this helps you.

Back