free website stats program oil cooling | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil cooling

The lines Im reffering to where the 3 oil lines coming off the bottom of my oil tank on an Evo softail.It was a few years back but it left a lasting impression.Compression fit lines are all similar in that thet require a straight cut or straight tube to attach to.This means no nipple on the end, hence if youre ever far away and one leeks a quick trip to Napa for an oil hose and some hose clamps are not nescesarily going to fix your problem.

OK. I think we may be talking apples and oranges here. The link I posted is for a universal braided ss oil line designed to be used with a barbed nipple (at least that is what Jagg told me). Both the Jagg 10 row oil cooler and the oil filter adapter have barbed nipples for use with the black reinforced hose and hose clamps that Jagg includes in their kits. When I called Jagg for a suggestion to get rid of the barbed nipples and go with a better connection, they recommended the DS lines. These oil lines come in preset lengths with the compression ends permanently fixed to each end. So you have to set everything up with the hoses that come in the kits, and when you are satisfied with the setup, measure the length of the black hoses and then order the DS hoses that will fit the installation.

TQ

Drag Specialties :: Tanks & Oil Filters > Oil Lines & Fittings > UNIVERSAL STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED OIL LINES
These are the lines Im reffering to.They lasted 2 seasons and leaked.They where also poor in quality IMO, they yellow out very quickly.It is to the right side of the line {in the picture} I had an issue with.If you look at the farthest component to the right, it is designed to provide an attachment point for the nut and compression ring.The line then threads on to that and compresses the ring.It is not barbed or flared or the nut and ring would not slide over it.Its not dissimilar to your household drain pipe with the plastic ring between two pipes.In my case the the oil tank tubes themselves became the attachment points once the nipples where cut off to allow the nuts and rings to slide over them.

I put on the HD oil cooler & I am real happy with it :) you get everything you need ,( mounting plate , oil cooler , chrome cover , molded oil lines & thermostat contolled plate , hardware & gaskets ) everything you need & it cost less than the Jaggs setup .

I put on the HD oil cooler & I am real happy with it :) you get everything you need ,( mounting plate , oil cooler , chrome cover , molded oil lines & thermostat contolled plate , hardware & gaskets ) everything you need & it cost less than the Jaggs setup .

Ironmark, which cooler did you use? The only HD one I see in the accessory catalog lists at $300.

Thanks,
Adam

Ironmark, which cooler did you use? The only HD one I see in the accessory catalog lists at $300.

Thanks,
Adam

Thats the one I used :D .
the Jaggs oil cooler cost $200 - $250 depending on witch one you get & then you have to get the oil filter adapter @ $110 or the thermostat controlled oil filter adapter @ $150 . I dont know what hardware comes with the jaggs setup , but anyway I looked @ it the Jaggs system cost more & they are a universal system
The HD oil cooler comes with everything including the thermostat oil filter adapter & is made to mount on your bike & it looks good .

Why is that ? That is all that HD offers , Jaggs sells oil filter adapters with & without thermostat . Is one better than the other ? It seems to me that the thermostat would help maintain proper engine oil temps .

Please read number 5 in list from jagg.
FAQ - Jagg Oil Coolers
If the people selling it tell me it not needed I tend to agree

So they are telling you the themostat oil filter adapter is not needed but they will sell you one . But still the Jaggs system cost more than the HD system & it is still a universal system . Another ? they dont tell you why you dont need the thermostat they just say you dont need it (maybe they think we all ride when it is above 70 degrees ) , but if I am riding in 30-40 or 50 degree temps would my engine be @ proper opperating temp or would the oil be too cold & if the oil is to cold would the engine be running to cold , I would think it would be better to have the engine run @ the proper temp than run to cold . isnt that why we put the cooler on is to keep the engine temp as consistant as possible . I would like to see more data .

So they are telling you the themostat oil filter adapter is not needed but they will sell you one . But still the Jaggs system cost more than the HD system & it is still a universal system . Another ? they dont tell you why you dont need the thermostat they just say you dont need it (maybe they think we all ride when it is above 70 degrees ) , but if I am riding in 30-40 or 50 degree temps would my engine be @ proper opperating temp or would the oil be too cold & if the oil is to cold would the engine be running to cold , I would think it would be better to have the engine run @ the proper temp than run to cold . isnt that why we put the cooler on is to keep the engine temp as consistant as possible . I would like to see more data .

I Would like to use a jagg but why pay more for basically the same thing

Back