free website stats program Oil Coolers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Coolers

.. ... Great factual post. ... ...

Thanks Tank, that was a very informative post you inserted.

I don't have an oil temp gauge so I could never monitor my cooler like that guy documented. But it does appear the oil does play more in traffic than I previously understood. I have both the Lenale Fan and the HD cooler. I think the Fan attacks the heat at the real source which is the head area. But it appears the oil coolers also do help prolong engine life both while riding and even some while sitting. Of course if I have to sit in traffic more than 3 mins (even with a fan and cooler) I'm turning my bike off.

As to the leaks, I have no leaks, no residue at all, totally clean crankcase.
I installed my cooler adapter with a thin tacky Permatex Gasket Seal product.
I positioned the hose clamp bolts to where I can get a wrench on them with the oil filter on, but have never had to do that.
My Jerzee Customs Oil pressure gauge reads over 40 psi all the time, even when idling. But I have never actually been looking at it when the cooler thermostat opened up. I can only say every time I have looked at it, was over 40 psi.

Cooling tests

(Post from another Forum) (I have read this thru to make sure it did not have any -not allowed- words in it. I hope my proof reading was sufficient. If not it has been nice knowing you guys since I already have 3 offenses so far R_W_B)

Originally Posted by 2black1s (another forum)
All you engineers out there are gonna love this! Earlier this week I installed some oil cooler fans and a LeNale engine cooling fan to my 2011 Limited.
Today I did some testing to quantify how well the fans perform. These results are for the LeNale engine fan. I had a little trouble with my oil temp monitoring set-up so I need to retry that part of the testing another time.

Here’s the test methodology used for the engine fan:
(Ambient temperature was 70 – 72 degrees F during testing)

1)Ride bike to get to operating temperature.
2)Connect the bike (Power Commander) to computer to read
engine temp through PCV software. The PCV displays the ECM
reading of the cylinder head temperature.
3)Run the bike at idle (1,000 rpm) with fan on to establish baseline
temp.
4)Record engine temp.
5) Turn fan off and continue to run at idle until the Engine Idle
Temperature Management System (EITMS) activates. The
system activates at approximately 290 degrees F.
6)Record engine temp and time.
7)Turn on fan.
8) Monitor and record engine temperature vs. time.
9) Turn off fan when engine temp stabilizes at lowest value attainable.
10) Repeat steps 3 - 9.

And here’s the test data:

With fan ON - 244.4 deg F baseline. Time (T) = 0 minutes

Turn fan OFF @ T+0
293.0 @ T+2 (EITMS activated)
Turn fan ON @ T+2
296.6 @ T+2’15”
276.8 @ T+3
262.4 @ T+4
255.2 @ T+5
249.8 @ T+6
246.2 @ T+7
244.4 @ T+7’30”
244.4 @ T+9 (temp stabilized)
Turn fan OFF @ T+9
266.0 @ T+10
293.0 @ T+11 (EITMS activated)
Turn fan ON @ T+11
298.4 @ T+11’15”
280.0 @ T+12
266.0 @ T+13
258.8 @ T+14
251.6 @ T+15
248.0 @ T+16
246.2 @ T+17
246.2 @ T+19 (temp stabilized)
End of Test

Summary:
I am very encouraged with the results and believe the addition of the fan was most definitely a worthwhile modification. Engine temps with fan running were 50+ degrees cooler than without. The engine temp would clearly exceed 300 deg F at idle with the fan OFF if I let it run to that point. With the fan ON the engine temp never exceeded 246.2 deg F.

One of the really cool things was to hear the EITMS disengage within a minute or two of kicking on the fan. That alone makes this mod worth it to me.

We’ll see how this works out when the ambient temps go up this summer, but regardless of the actual temps, it sure feels good to know that they’re 50+ degrees lower than they would have been without installing the fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back