Oil Coolers and Reusable Oil Filter/Coolers together.

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by GzaGlyde, Apr 23, 2011.

1. GzaGlyde

GzaGlyde New Member

I've read about those with Big Sky & Ultra Cool oil coolers, and I've read where some folks use the reusable stainless steel oil filter/coolers;

Does anyone have any experience running both an oil cooler and a reusable filter? I'm getting ready to have an Ultra Cool FL installed and I wanna add something like a K&P or FLO OIL reusable filter. Will be running synthetic (Amsoil) 20W50 oil after it's all said and done.

2. GzaGlyde

GzaGlyde New Member

So I'm on the right track -

Thanks for the timely response. I actually saw the Pure Power using a link posted in a thread here. I just purchased a FLO OIL from eBay a little while ago (saving $80) but was really liking the PurPwr look and design.
    I've pulled over twice already on the warmer days because my gauge was flashing 230 degrees on short local runs (w/i 50mi). Think I'll be alright. Might even pick up a second one as bench stock.

thnx again

3. mlrc10

mlrc10 Active Member

Got 1 question about this post, why would you pull over at 230 degrees? I don't have a temp gauge on my Ultra , but my FXDX would run 220 degrees when it was 70 degrees outside running 65 down the highway. 230 never made me think twice. Am I wrong guys ?

4. wilks3

wilks3 Junior Member

Maybe was new bike and just wanted to be safe.
    Dino oil, keep a eye on it.
    Synthetic oil, run it.

mlrc10, Very sorry for your loss, and God Bless you as you ride.
    wilks3
    :USA

5. harle

harle Member

what micron do those filter down to

6. tlyoungb

tlyoungb Junior Member

That is a very good question. The HD filters are 5 micron. I would not use anything else other than a 5 micron filter. Not sure what all the new gimmicks are.

7. wilks3

wilks3 Junior Member

I agree 100% with you Tbones. There's is no way any filter as small as the factory HD is going to filter down to 5 microns and not plug up, way before 3000 miles let alone 5000 miles. Its gonna by-pass, period.
    A micron is .00039 of a inch. The K&P filters down to a absolute 35 microns, nothing bigger than 35 microns is going thur filter. What is 35 microns? .001365, just a tad over one thousandths of a inch. You can't tell me thats gonna hurt anything in a HD engine, I just won't buy it.
    wilks3

8. Porter

Porter Junior Member

I use filters in my job but not for filtering oil. Definitely a topic I will look into (oil filtering) but in general here are a few things to think about:

1.) Perhaps they tested withing the operation parameters of a motorcycle (mainly temp), but stainless steel expand/contracts quite a bit with temperature. Add to that a very fine mesh (i.e. tremendous surface area) and some interesting things can happen. Since a weave is not "sintered" (microscopically "welded/melted" where the strands touch, you should get a significant change in the pore size of the mesh due to the expansion and contraction from heat.

2.) Pore testing is almost always done with a test solution that has a variety of known, spherical particles (there is always a range of sizes within a "standard" due to normal variation, though). So when you say 35 micron, for example, you are talking about a ball, that is 35 microns in average diameter. But think about a pea versus a stick of spaghetti as and example. The spaghetti can fit through a much smaller opening and it is a much bigger particle.

3.) "Blowing through a filter" (paper vs. ss mesh) and the differences may be simply due to surface tension. Most oil filters paper absorb and adsorb oil to the structure. SS does not.

I am not saying that the SS filters won't work. Just bringing up some things to think about. If you really want to filter out a certain size particle, you need a "torturous path". Picture an air stone for an aquarium but with a changing density as you move across, from the outside of the stone to the inside. Again, I seriously doubt that somthing like this would be needed to keep an engine in fine shape, given all the other variables going on.

To me, (and I could definitely be wrong) if you have particles of metal that could cause problems by being so large as to plug up some orifice or bearing, somthing else is wrong. You filter is removing it but something is still wearing.

9. tlyoungb

tlyoungb Junior Member

I could not agree with you more, but all things considering. If you have an extended warranty on your ride, and lets say something happens to the engine. Something MAJOR. When you take it to the dealer to have it looked at. I'll bet you anything that the new oil filter will be the root cause to the problem, and That extended warranty will not cover that filter.

That is why I use the HD filter. I don't want to give MOCO any excuse or any reason.......if you know what I mean. How much does a new engine cost these days. I have the extended warranty. I can't afford a new engine.

10. GzaGlyde

GzaGlyde New Member

Thanks anyway - I bought one online during the holidays and got a pretty good break on one ($337 on sale). Appreciate ya'

=================================================

You're not wrong but this was before my 1000 mile service. Didn't wanna take any chances. My dealer said the same thing but I actually do run synthetic now. My service guy also told me the [digi] gauges are a little more sensitive also; he didn't say ignore them but not to be so ancy over them.

=================================================

TBones, thanks for the information in response to my question and some other helpful responses inquiries in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011