free website stats program Oil cooler? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cooler?

I'm using the Harley Premium Oil cooler and really like how it fits and how it cools.

Agree with check the Hd one out cost less and just as good.
Jagg use to make HD oil coolers anyway.

If I get one, I will probally just go for the HD. $240 is not bad and it includes thermostsat and everything you need. The question is, do I realy need one? I want my engine to last but do not want to waste money either.

Do you really need one, NO. Do you really need a Harley, NO. But if you want the engine to last I think they're worth the money. I put the HD cooler on mine and don't see 270-280 oil temps anymore. Now I see 220-230 temps on hot days.

I have a 2010 Street Bob, with the Oil Bud oil cooler. Although more expensive, I'm getting very good results with it. I did a lot of research before commiting to the investment (I also have one on my 08 Softail Deluxe). Although I don't have a temp gauge on my Street Bob, I have two temp data points on my Deluxe, one on the oil tank, and a sensor on the oil filter adapter sending data to a Dakota Digital gauge on the handle bar. I'm consistently getting 30 degree reductions on the Softail. On my softail, in heavy, hot-day commuting in metro Atlanta, my oil tank temp has been as high as 285, and with moderate traffic and freeway speeds, the oil tank temps were consistently in the mid 250's. Those numbers were with a totally stock setup except for open baffles in my American Custom Exhaust mufflers. Less backpressure will increase engine heat. There are many solutions that can get effective results. Everybody, like myself, has some type of experience, and perspective. I respect everyone's views on these things. My solution on my softail has worked well for me and I am in the process of implementing it on my Street Bob. 1) K&N intake filter, 2) American Custom Exhaust with no baffles (wow, great sound!), 3) TFI performance tuner set at 3344. This works for me. Just my perspective, among 100's or thousands that are just as good, if not better. Hope this helps.

I went with the Jagg stuff including the Offset Adapter with thermostat built in. If I was doing it again, I would just go for the Offset Adapter without the thermo. since I think in the "winter" here in Houston I could just as easily cover the cooler with a nylon "sock" and let that be the thermostat!! Less bits that can go wrong.

I definitely second the suggestion to get the anti-rotation dog to mount on the adapter. I did not do that and had to go in after the fact to put it on. Worth doing from the get-go.

TQ

If your oil temperatures are above 250*F most of the time I would say definitely get that cooler...dino oil performance starts suffering, and keep in mind water boils at 212*F so the oil is pretty much in it's sweet spot above that. 275*F to 280*F is working even your 100% Synthetic V-Twin oil hard, so this is of course your judgement call...I would add one, smart money spent I would say, based on TQ & Glider' advice...:s

If your oil temperatures are above 250*F most of the time I would say definitely get that cooler...dino oil performance starts suffering, and keep in mind water boils at 212*F so the oil is pretty much in it's sweet spot above that. 275*F to 280*F is working even your 100% Synthetic V-Twin oil hard, so this is of course your judgement call...I would add one, smart money spent I would say, based on TQ & Glider' advice...:s

Rode again this past Sunday. It was only 80 out at best and the bike was 278. Do the 103 builds run hotter? I do plan on getting the oil cooler though. I'll get the HD one mainly for cost.

I just installed the HD oil cooler on my 08 Heritage. Easy to install, but my kit was missing the gasket ( so I made my own - easier than taking item back etc ) and I left the chrome cover off. Makes it easier to keep the cooler clean.

I took the bike for an hour drive in mixed hwy & city driving , stop & go, traffic lights etc. Outside air temp was around 85 F. The guage on the oil tank indicated a range of 220-230 F no matter if I was stopped at a traffic light or just came of the highway. Without the cooler it would consistently be in the 240-250 or slightly higher range under the same conditions. Bike is completely stock ( except spark plugs ).

I went to the oil cooler because recently I was in logans pass, two up temp in the 85 F range, lots of construction stop & go etc and the oil temp got up to 270 F.

The HD one has the thermostat which is a good thing as it only allows oil to flow through the cooler when the oil temp is in the 185 F + range.

Back