free website stats program Oil Cooler | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler

Thank you all for you kind replies.
I have decided to install a oil temp gauge first bt no cooler.

I am just being protective of my EG.

M Khan

Save your money for some other BLING JMO:s

Oil coolers are certainly not "needed". With that said, cooler oil will maintain its lubricating properties better... which may lead to longer engine life.

I believe I have a pretty decent dealer service guy. I said I want to have a oil cooler installed, and he looked at me funny and simply said, 'you do not need one'.

Oil Cooler.... I might not need one .. but living in Texas and I say living and riding in Texas ..I think I would like to have one just for the heck of it... Plus I'am running out stuff to buy for mine,... already have all the shiney stuff in the fat book...:D

I believe I have a pretty decent dealer service guy. I said I want to have a oil cooler installed, and he looked at me funny and simply said, 'you do not need one'.

not often you run into one like that

Oil Cooler.... I might not need one .. but living in Texas and I say living and riding in Texas ..I think I would like to have one just for the heck of it... Plus I'am running out stuff to buy for mine,... already have all the shiney stuff in the fat book...:D

i am just putting the purchase off until i run out of other stuff:D

You will never go wrong adding a cooler. Heat and dirt destroy engines. I have always used a cooler and my bike runs 20 to 40 degrees cooler than a bike without one. I say go for it. They are easy to install.

If you stay away from slow moving traffic jams and too many red lites then cooling won't be an issue. But for such things you will get much more cooling effect from a Lenale Fan. Or you could do as Tank stated and turn you engine off in such situations.

I have an oil cooler (and a Lenale fan) since I ride in hot conditions for most of the year. All the oil cooler does is keep the oil from getting above a certain temp, at which the oil does not lubricate as well as it would at a lower temp. Better lubrication leads to longer engine life. It does very little to cool the engine as a whole and nothing to cool the head area where there is no oil circulation.

2007 FLHT

I will be riding from Princeton NJ to Key West Fl in June. I know it is going to be hot.

Riding solo.

Do I need an oil cooler?

Last year I took my air cooled Moto Guzzi to the same trip ( no oil cooler) without a problem

M Khan

Run with a good syn oil and go. A oil cooler may give more peace of mind but I would save the money for something else. If you are in parades a lot then a oil cooler is a good idea..

Back