free website stats program oil cooler???? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil cooler????

[ Smitty wrote : .............Army is a different place today than it was even 15 years ago. .............. ]

Yea, with talking to my stepson I know it's different now. He's 11 bravo Airborne but changed to Armored after 12yrs due to jump injuries. There is no more KP and the MRI's are gourmet compared to the C rations I ate in Nam. When I was E-4, I was paid $454 a month and that included combat pay. Course there wasn't anyplace to spend it where I was at, but had some good times on supply convoy down in Long Binh base camp (near Saigon). Used to love to go to the 2nd Field Force EM club there. Whiskey was cheap and they always had some sort of band playing.
I joined for 3yrs but I would have been drafted anyway. Served with mostly draftees, and even though moral was low, we all took our job serious and we depended on each other. I think that is where the bond comes from. Sent all but a small amount of my pay home and when I got out I paid cash for a new Camaro and a new 650cc Triumph Bonneville (had 2 Hondas in High School). That was a long time ago, can hardly remember it.
Sold the Bonneville in the mid 70's to pay some bills and did not ride all these years till a couple of months ago I bought a 2007 Street Bob. My wife and I love the heck out of it. She doesn't want to learn but loves riding on the back and is always ready to ride. Mine came with the old Stage 1 SE Air Intake, Stage 1 dealer map download and Vance & Hines Big Shots staggered black. I love this bike. Always wanted a Harley when I was younger and could not afford one. So now at 60 I'm finally riding a Harley.
Later guy.

Thanks Tank for the cooler link, I will take a look at it. I want a cooler of some type at some point. Just bought a Mustand Seat, some kuryakyn pegs with heel stirrups and some saddle bag supports, so gotta let the budget renew a bit now.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of cooler is working the best. What do you recommed. I have a 1991 FLHS with about 100 HP

Jagg and Setrab USA

Milwaukee Twins Dual Cool II Oil Cooler

BTW, if you do pull the trigger on an UltraCool you should be aware that HDTimeline's own "zoood" is a Product Contributor here. He can certainly help with all the questions you might have on the UltraCool.

Here is his dedicated area of the forum...

Ultra Cool Evaluation - Harley Davidson Community

I dont have one , but check out the link Tank has here.

Smitty raises some great points about oil coolers. I have had a HD unit on my '99 Ultra for the last few years. It mounts low, right around the oil filter, so there is little disturbance of the air flow around the motor itself. The cooler plus Mobil1 synthetic plus an upgrade to the newer cam tensioners and oil pump give me plenty of oil pressure and the temp has never risen above 220. Of course here in NJ, we don't get ( in most instances) the temps that others get in more extreme climates. I have never noticed any drop in oil pressure when the HD unit kicks in (185 degrees). As anyone with an oil pressure guage has come to realize, these are not lab quality units, and tend to fluctuate in their readings normally. At least they do on my scoot.

Great info Smitty, I was wonding about that, as I was reading all the treads.
Maybe the XiEs from Nightrider would be worth trying.

I was seeing 220-225 on my Heritage candy thermometer consistantly. This was an hour, maybe a 90 minute ride which included 8 miles on the four lane at 75 mph, followed by stop & go cruising downtown, some 30 mph city stuff, & a ride back home, reverse route. About the same thing I do every time I ride local. I liked the looks and wanted to stay with HD stuff if I could, so installed the HD cooler with the 185 deg valve. I rode the other day when it wa 65 deg out, same route, and never saw the thermometer over 200 deg. The cooler didn't warm to the touch until about 185, just like it's supposed to. I know the engine makes just as much heat as it did before, but what the cooler does is give the oil a little more time outside the engine to radiate some of it's heat away, and it pours cooler oil back into the tank. So I have cooler oil recirculating back into the motor, which I see as a good thing.

Back