free website stats program oil cooler???? | Harley Davidson Forums

oil cooler????

I just installed the Jagg 5 row vertical mount on my 07 Heritage. Easy install and does make a difference. Here in OK on an 80 degree day at 70-75 mph oil temp was 250. No in these 95 degree days at same speeds oil temp runs 220-225, makes me feel much better.:D

With a Heritage, it is likely your choice, based on performance, looks and price...but then the Jagg has been at it the longest, and has had plenty of time to hone their product. The Milwaukee though simple in design and practice, probably does not cool as much based on available surface area exposure in the wind and the fact Jagg uses internal fin "turbulation" technology to stir the internal oil flow so more of the hot oil in the center of the flow is forced to contact the inner fin surfaces transferring more heat to the outside, regardless of air flow at the external cooling fins. JMHO :s

I was reading some post somewhere and the person said he could tell when his O. Cooler thermostat kicked on by his oil pressure gauge dropping to 4psi ? I was shocked, is this normal for all oil coolers, anybody out there with P. Gauges noticed this ? Does it continue at 4psi the whole time it's circulating? This can't be a good thing.

Yea I'm old enough to remember, and it's the viscosity breakdown of hot oil (not the engine heat) is the reason why I want to buy an oil cooler. But aside from all of that stuff, then the OPressure does go back up at running rpms and it's only at an idle the guy was probably talking about ? In other words I thought he meant he was riding along and as the oil stat kicked on the OP went to 4psi. My manual states the oil pressure switch is tripped at 3psi so that sounded a bit on the not good side. In other words surely that is not the case for oil coolers across the board (with the exception of idling) is it ?

I would find it hard to believe.
It would not hurt anything if it did.
fact is that no madder what oil cooler you go with under the best condition it will not drop oil temps over all more than 20 degrees. Ever notice they make NO claims as to temp reduction? When you talking 185 to almost 300 degrees in some cases that is not a larger percentage. I doubt many if any have gauges on a bike that are that accurate. The shaking alone would require oil filled gauges.
Hd oil cooler was at one time made by Jag. The HD kit come with every thing you need No extras to by and is priced right.
On jag and many of the others you have to buy the adapter and thermostat if you want one. Quote from JAG on thermostat is not needed but we will take your money if you really want one.
HD engine like almost all engines today use a varied oil pressure it is lower at low RPm's higher as they go up. You can argue the reasons but it is done so at low RPMs when oil is cold less stress on seals and Oil pump uses less HP.
Some of us are old enough to remember engines that held high oil pressure from the start.
This whole oil cooler thing comes from a mistaken Idea that some how it will make the HD run cooler not going to happen.
HD's are NOT oil cooled heads except for one engine they build.
Oil cooler will help the oil do it's job of lubing parts a little better when you start reaching the extreme temps.
The heat of your HD comes from the exhaust and heads.

Ultra Cool oil coolers state they will maintain the oil temerature between 190 and 230 degrees. Check it out for yourself.
Harley Oil Cooler - UltraCoolFL Motorcycle Oil Coolers

[smitty wrote: If a friend bought one and ask me to come over and help bolt it on . My only question would be is the coffee on yet I am on the way]
Love that analog guy, wish you lived near me. I tend to have the same attitude only I sometimes would want the beer ready when we were done.
What years did you serve ? I'm an old Army Vet (60yrs age) but only pulled 3 yrs active. My stepson is currently 15 yrs active Army and probably will retire at 20. I was in Nam in 1970, wasn't infantry though, in the 554th Engineer battalion. We worked with the Infantry a lot. Was camped beside the Big Red One at Lai Kai. We built fire bases along QL 13 (thunder road) right up to the border of Cambodia when the 11th Armored Cav went in. I became friends with some infantry dudes there. I loved and respected those guys for the way they performed in the Jungle. For me it was basically one tough, hard, 15 month camping trip with long days and guard duty at night. We did get some incoming 122 rockets sometimes. Did my share of working with C4 and dynamite. Got out after 3 yrs. Military duty makes you a different person, I'm grateful for my time to serve and I consider today's all volunteer military our finest.

Back