oil cooler????

Discussion in 'Oil' started by gottenbacher, Jul 22, 2010.

1. gottenbacher

gottenbacher Member

2. BikeSAG

BikeSAG Active Member

I just installed the Jagg 5 row vertical mount on my 07 Heritage. Easy install and does make a difference. Here in OK on an 80 degree day at 70-75 mph oil temp was 250. No in these 95 degree days at same speeds oil temp runs 220-225, makes me feel much better.:D

3. 2006FXDCI

2006FXDCI Active Member

You can't go wrong with Jagg, I've never tried any other brand and never will.

4. nwbikerid

nwbikerid Member

I love my Jagg, excellent quality and works great!

5. wildman9

wildman9 Active Member

I have the Jagg 10 row as well and it does make a difference.

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

With a Heritage, it is likely your choice, based on performance, looks and price...but then the Jagg has been at it the longest, and has had plenty of time to hone their product. The Milwaukee though simple in design and practice, probably does not cool as much based on available surface area exposure in the wind and the fact Jagg uses internal fin "turbulation" technology to stir the internal oil flow so more of the hot oil in the center of the flow is forced to contact the inner fin surfaces transferring more heat to the outside, regardless of air flow at the external cooling fins. JMHO :s

7. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

I was reading some post somewhere and the person said he could tell when his O. Cooler thermostat kicked on by his oil pressure gauge dropping to 4psi ? I was shocked, is this normal for all oil coolers, anybody out there with P. Gauges noticed this ? Does it continue at 4psi the whole time it's circulating? This can't be a good thing.

8. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

Yea I'm old enough to remember, and it's the viscosity breakdown of hot oil (not the engine heat) is the reason why I want to buy an oil cooler. But aside from all of that stuff, then the OPressure does go back up at running rpms and it's only at an idle the guy was probably talking about ? In other words I thought he meant he was riding along and as the oil stat kicked on the OP went to 4psi. My manual states the oil pressure switch is tripped at 3psi so that sounded a bit on the not good side. In other words surely that is not the case for oil coolers across the board (with the exception of idling) is it ?

9. skydude426

skydude426 Member

Ultra Cool oil coolers state they will maintain the oil temerature between 190 and 230 degrees. Check it out for yourself.
    Harley Oil Cooler - UltraCoolFL Motorcycle Oil Coolers

10. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

[smitty wrote: If a friend bought one and ask me to come over and help bolt it on . My only question would be is the coffee on yet I am on the way]
    Love that analog guy, wish you lived near me. I tend to have the same attitude only I sometimes would want the beer ready when we were done.
    What years did you serve ? I'm an old Army Vet (60yrs age) but only pulled 3 yrs active. My stepson is currently 15 yrs active Army and probably will retire at 20. I was in Nam in 1970, wasn't infantry though, in the 554th Engineer battalion. We worked with the Infantry a lot. Was camped beside the Big Red One at Lai Kai. We built fire bases along QL 13 (thunder road) right up to the border of Cambodia when the 11th Armored Cav went in. I became friends with some infantry dudes there. I loved and respected those guys for the way they performed in the Jungle. For me it was basically one tough, hard, 15 month camping trip with long days and guard duty at night. We did get some incoming 122 rockets sometimes. Did my share of working with C4 and dynamite. Got out after 3 yrs. Military duty makes you a different person, I'm grateful for my time to serve and I consider today's all volunteer military our finest.