free website stats program oil cooler | Harley Davidson Forums

oil cooler

bandit11

I am trying to install an oil cooler on my 2008 fat bob.The problem is the oil port seems to be to close to the frame and cant screw the 90s in.Ian thinking that the engine will need to be lowered to install the 90s then raised back up.Thanks.

maybe you bought the wrong oil cooler! Look @ Ultracool.com and see where there unit mounts to!
plus do you think that oil cooler will work while your standing @ a dead stop in 85-100 degree weather?

I am trying to install an oil cooler on my 2008 fat bob.The problem is the oil port seems to be to close to the frame and cant screw the 90s in.Ian thinking that the engine will need to be lowered to install the 90s then raised back up.Thanks.

Don't know which system you are installing, but suspect you need an oil filter adapter that has the oil supply and return nipples installed. That is the way the Jagg systems work and the HD system as far as I have seen.

TQ

Yes, it will work as designed. You will get a small amount of cooling from the added volume of oil if nothing else. Your point is taken, oil coolers are designed to work when in motion. Given your scenario you would approach that dead stop with your bike running cooler and, once in motion, your bike will cool off quicker. Not to start a war, but I recommend running a good synthetic oil as well.

I agree with the bike being cooler when you get to a stop. That seems logical to me. That's why I am considering one for my Street Bob.

maybe you bought the wrong oil cooler! Look @ Ultracool.com and see where there unit mounts to!
plus do you think that oil cooler will work while your standing @ a dead stop in 85-100 degree weather?

I think it will work. You have increased your oil supply and any oil cooler will help shed heat even when standing still. House hot water radiators work the same way. There is no airflow to speak of in a house yet these radiators seem to transfer the heat throughout the house. The old line about Harley oil coolers not working when stopped is not true. They are less effective but not ineffective. Anything we can do to reduce the oil temperature should be considered.:newsmile079:

Speaking of the adapter plate, I was trying to find one of those last week. All I could locate was entire cooler kit, does anyone know where to get the adapter plate by itself? Or possibly a HD part number?

Yes, it appears you need the adapter plate.

In regards to the numerous threads on coolers just a few first hand observations.
I delayed putting one on my Ultra due to these threads about not working sitting still, not needed when moving etc. i bought the HD one simply because I got a good deal on it. My Ultra would gradually creep up to the 300 degree mark after a couple of hours of hard riding so i felt I had to do something. After installing the cooler I see no temps. over 240 and to solve the sittting still thing I installed the manually operated Big Sky fan unit and would like to mention that the complete system works like a champ and I am totally happy with it. IMHO this is a needed item on any heavy big twin.

Back