free website stats program Oil Cooler | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler

Does anyone use the cool collar that slips on over oil filter and promises to lower oil temp at least 20 degrees. Seen it on flea bay and was wondering if it works or is just a waste of money on more junk that i don't need.

Save your money and buy the real deal oil cooler. The claims are much more than you would actually see.

Save your money and buy the real deal oil cooler. The claims are much more than you would actually see.

I agree that a drop in temp that large would not be possible by just adding cooling fins to the oil cooler, but I have wondered if used in conjunction with a conventional oil cooler if it would not be worth the $20 or $30 one cost. Anyone using one this way?

I agree that a drop in temp that large would not be possible by just adding cooling fins to the oil cooler, but I have wondered if used in conjunction with a conventional oil cooler if it would not be worth the $20 or $30 one cost. Anyone using one this way?

I always wanted to get me one way back on my 2000 dyna days. I never did but i was early on with the Jagg cooler that Did the job. I would imagine it would just be another dust collector and hard to clean.
I hate dusty dirt!

I always liked the early dyna filters, the Long ones.. A few oz more oil was something I liked and wished they made a 5 micron Long filter today as I would us it on my 09 FLHR.. Just don't think they make a 5 micron long one. Do They?

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, don't be snake bit by long filter...when looking inside the long cannister a lot of the time the filter element does not extend the full length, as some filter manufacturers use a one element fits all approach...classic case that longer "ain't" better! Not that a genuine HD filter would cater to deception. :s

Bubbie, don't be snake bit by long filter...when looking inside the long cannister a lot of the time the filter element does not extend the full length, as some filter manufacturers use a one element fits all approach...classic case that longer "ain't" better! Not that a genuine HD filter would cater to deception. :s

Subject comes up from time to time , as others have said save you money

I was mostly thinking of the OD size of filter (HD's Long) and the X-tra oil it would hold. Not the bigger insides of filter. This, ? going in hand with the asking about the cooling fins on the oil filter.. Just a thought and no Snakes here.

signed....BUBBIE:D

I have a harley oil cooler on my softail saw them on e-bay when I ask a question from the seller I did't get an answer.(that kind of gave me my answer)

Given the limited surface area of a slipon "heatsink", probably would not lower temperature of the the filter significantly, due to the thermal path thru 2 pieces of metal (the filter cover, and then the cooler metal itself) so if you used heatsink compound it would cut that by half. Even so much less the oil flow contacting the surface, if the element is not clogged inside, as the oil flow is more of a "glug-glug" splash flow rather than with any force. Looks trick, but hard to beat plain chrome regarding clean look though...

http://www.roadstarmagazine.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=19

The slip on the filter heat sink would require thermal paste to bridge the gap between the oil filter and the heatsink and should to some extent loose slightly more heat than just a standard filter
But if heat is a problem for you then this is not the solution a proper oil cooler is far more efficient at loosing heat

Brian

Back