free website stats program Oil cooler yes or no | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cooler yes or no

why dont we do our own study. there is how many people involved in this site. I dont run an oil cooler, I have 28,000 miles on my tc88 and I live in minnesota.

This is what I have found since putting an oil cooler on mine last winter. Last simmer I saw oil temps as high as 275-285 degrees and we had a cool summer here. This summer I haven't seen the oil temp over 230 and that was riding on a day where the outside temp was 95 degrees. I was concerned that the oil wouldn't warm up enough when it was cold outside but still saw 200 degree oil on a 45 degree in early April. I put on the Harley cooler although I believe it's made by Jagg. I use 20w-50 Mobil1 V-Twin oil. I'm well pleased the way the cooler works and think it will be well worth the money in the long run.

This is what I have found since putting an oil cooler on mine last winter. Last simmer I saw oil temps as high as 275-285 degrees and we had a cool summer here. This summer I haven't seen the oil temp over 230 and that was riding on a day where the outside temp was 95 degrees.

Those are textbook numbers. You can not ask for much more. How are you measuring your oil temp. Is it a stick in the oil tank (pan) or is there a sending unit that sends info to a dash gauge? If you really saw an honest 55* fall in your oil tank, that is a bunch.

Those are textbook numbers. You can not ask for much more. How are you measuring your oil temp. Is it a stick in the oil tank (pan) or is there a sending unit that sends info to a dash gauge? If you really saw an honest 55* fall in your oil tank, that is a bunch.

I just have the dipstick in the tank. Don't exactly know how accurate it is but I think the numbers are still relevant. The only thing that's changed is the oil cooler.

Living in Fl. we see summertime temps. above 95* most days. When riding in traffic oil temps. can go above 250* without a cooler. I have a 94FLSTC and have run an HD oil cooler since the first summer I had it and riding in traffic the temp. does not go above 210*. This is measured with the oil temp dip stick in the oil bag. I have two of these (temp sticks) and they read the same, so I'm guessing that while I have not had them calibrated to a standard they are pretty close. On my 05FLTRI I but the oil cooler on the second day I had it and have not seen the temp. go above 210* sitting in traffic (but I don't sit in traffic much). This is measured with an in tank sender and faring mounted guage (aftermarket). The way I see it if you can keep your oil cooler for $200 to $300 it is money well spent. FLSTC-155,00mi+ before HD remanuf, FLTRI-60,000+ and running strong.

can go above 250* without a cooler. I have a 94FLSTC and have run an HD oil cooler since the first summer I had it and riding in traffic the temp. does not go above 210*.

Don, It is amazing to me that you can see that much of a swing in temperature. 40* is a bunch. Is this just a HD cooler or an SE cooler or something special. Would you happen to know model/part number?

You saw 250* numbers on that '94 before the cooler? A '94 would come near the temps of today's 96 cu/in engines.

Hoople, I saw the 250* on a buddies 94FXSTC the first summer I had the bike, that's why I got the HD (lockhart) oil cooler and oil guage dip stick. The 05 is running a HD primium oil cooler with thermostat. The 40* swing is from sitting still in traffic, to running on back roads. So it's probably not a fair comparison, but I have seen 06SG without oil cooler riding with me and he showed 240* (digital in tank) to my 190* on the RG. No the motors are not the same but it is still quite a lot cooler with the cooler.

Don, thanks for the info. Yes, I agree. That sure is a lot of temperature difference. I am going to look into how big a project it is to install and what the plumbing looks like when finished.

I was on a long ride Saturday and the Bank sign said it was 98* outside. Cylinder head temps were running 295-302* within 30 seconds of stopping.
That's like 10-15 degrees from heat management system kicking in. I did not have my lab thermo with me to check oil temp. Wish I had. It had to be in the 275* range (just a guess)

Back