free website stats program Oil Cooler Recommendation? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler Recommendation?

I went with the Harley oil cooler with built in thermostat.

I've heard good things about the similar Jagg cooler as well. The Harley cooler is the same model they use on the screamin eagle models so I'm confident its good quality and have had no problems in the past two years since I installed it.

I live just outside Vancouver BC so doesn't get too hot here but when running south through Utah, Nevada etc, the cooler is good insurance (dang it gets hot in Nevada in August....)

Go with the thermostat model as it regulates the oil flow through the cooler as needed. Especially good in Canada as you want the engine to warm up to temperature as quickly as possible. Never heard of a failure and thermostats have worked great for years in my trucks without any trouble...

I have the HD oil cooler with thermostat and the LeNale fan. Different equipment for different situations. The oil cooler works best as long as the bike is moving or there is some airflow across the fins. The fan works in situations where you are stopped or moving very slowly for more than a few minutes. Of course, you also need to have full synthetics since they have a higher breakdown temperature.

My 09 Road Glide made the 4,250 miles trip to Sturgis last year in all kinds of weather. I had no worries since I had the oil cooler, the LeNale fan and full synthetics. And boy, it sure does get hot in Nevada and Arizona in August.

If you can't afford all three things at once, I'd replace your fluids with full synthetics first, then put in the oil cooler, and then install the LeNale fan.

I have the HD oil cooler with thermostat and the LeNale fan. ----

If you can't afford all three things at once, I'd replace your fluids with full synthetics first, then put in the oil cooler, and then install the LeNale fan.

I agree.We run H-D oil coolers with thermostats on our 2008 Softails.Along with synthetic oils.2 bikes have LeNale fans fitted ;no isues here.

Synthetics first,then cooler and if necessary,a cooling fan.

Well thanks for advice. I had a 77 Low Rider (first year they made them) and it came with an oil cooler and a leather cover that went over it when it was too cool to use it? I will get my engine together then go from there. Thanks again.

Back